Honored Contributor

Re: Someone Knowledgeable - Enlighten Me About Handbags

Old thread that was bumped up.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Well, this may be an old thread that got bumped up and didn't get moved over to the handbags subforum, but the questions the OP raise are valid ones.

i think QVC and a lot of their vendors bags are sourced and made throgh Li & Fung which was the company that bought B Mak, Tignanello, and Kathy Van Zeeland. Li & Fung spun off that part of their company into a subsidiary called Global Brands Group. If you google them they own or are licensed to manufacture for a lot of brands. 

I think they also manufacture for Xcel Brands which owns The Isaac Mizrahi and Liz Claiborne lines sold on QVC. 

Aimee Kestenberg also used to work for Li & Fung designing bags for various lines before starting her own line of bags. 

It's no wonder that so many brands end up looking alike or using the same colors because they likely are using leather from the same source and they are likely manufactured and shipped by the same companies, IMO.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Been seeing a good bit more of this phenomenon on several of the various forums. Wondering if some threads are just now making their way over from the old boards, or if folks are simply scouring the old threads for lack of interesting newer ones... or if it's something else entirely.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Been seeing a good bit more of this phenomenon on several of the various forums. Wondering if some threads are just now making their way over from the old boards, or if folks are simply scouring the old threads for lack of interesting newer ones... or if it's something else entirely.

Newer posters and there's no date on the initial post that's easy to see.

I also see that a couple threads have moved over from shoes this morning, including this one. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I thought I would put in my two cents.

I love handbags and have from a very early age. That said, my Father always taught me that buying one good piece is worth more than  having lots of nothing special.

Honored Contributor

@goodstuff wrote:
On 7/14/2014 tough_kitty said:
On 7/14/2014 happy housewife said:

Last summer I carried a canvas Tig bag with the signature T print in a brown/black combo and got more compliments on it than any more expensive bag I have ever used.

That's precisely why I personally cannot justify buying a Gucci or any other $2,000 handbag.... Why spend so much for great quality if I can buy a D&B or MK which are aslo excellent quality but in $200-400 price range??

After all, I am buying for myself. Not for others to see that I carry a Gucci!

.....and why I personally don't care to spend even the $200 to $400 for Kors and Dooney! I don't fault others for liking and buying more expensive bags, but I'm perfectly happy with the Liz Claiborne, Nine West, or other very nice bags that I pick up at TJ's or elsewhere, almost always for under $50. If I like the color and design and the bag serves its purpose well, I don't choose to spend more. It all really is a matter of choice, priorities, and what works for each of us. I'd rather save on handbags and spend the money on something more important to me.

Nine West Line Up Tote Bag

@nine West. $35 @ Overstock.com.

Liz Claiborne Milano Shoulder Bag

@Liz Claiborne. $40 @ JC Penney.

Liz Claiborne Early Bird Satchel

Liz Claiborne. $36, JC Penney.

Shucks. TJ's has Makowsky leather for $90 or so! $300? Nah.

I feel the same way. while i would probably not buy a really cheap bag at walmart I do go to discount stores like outlets and Bealls. I am also not a leather snob - if I like a bag it doesn't matter to me if it isn't leather or - like the tig bags - if it has some vinyl trim. I actually like the idea of vinyl on the bottom so it can be wiped off.

QVC Customer Care

QVC Customer Care