Honored Contributor

Have any of you noticed a change in the size bag you prefer as you age?

I'm 66, racing very quickly toward 67.

While I still have some medium sized purses, full sized as I call them, and love them, I find that more and more I like using a cross body and I'm even finding the smaller the better.  I just carry a much smaller wallet with them.

A few years ago, I discovered the Hobo Cambel, which is a medium crossbody.  It does hold a full sized wallet.  Love that purse. The actual purse adds no weight at all.

Then I discovered the Hobo Nash which is really small.  I absolutely adore that crossbody. For my wallet I just use the Hobo Euro Slide.  That, my phone, keys, a pen and a tiny hand lotion.  That's all I need.

Very recently, I've discovered the Brahmin Marley.  I bought one in one of their new fall colors and bought their credit card wallet.  That purse literally holds the credit card wallet, my iPhone 11, keys and the mini hand lotion.  And it's the perfect size for me. 

I find myself using my small bags about 90% of the time. Still won't get rid of my larger bags, but find that I'm really gravitating toward very small bags.  I just don't carry that much stuff on a daily basis.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Size of your bag as you age

I am 61 and I'd say the past 10 years or so all I carry is a crossbody small to medium size.   I just have to be hands free and my shoulder can't take the weight of a shoulder bag anyway.   I never carried a ton of stuff but I do still carry a fair amount I guess.  When I travel though I will use a small. light bag as I only carry essentials.  I have a couple small Lugs (also crossbody) which I like because of all the pockets and the RFID protection.

Honored Contributor

I used to carry pretty large bags.  I realize looking back that I carried a lot of unnecessary stuff - LOL! 

Anyway - I don't go out much these days and don't even use a bag that often.  But I still like attractive handbags, but they must be functional and light.  I don't use a really small bag because if DH and I go out together, he gives me his stuff that he needs to put in my bag!  So, I would say a medium size one is pretty much my mainstay.  A comfortable soft strap is necessary, also as I have shoulder and back issues.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I too packed away my bigger bags which some would call small. I was never a big bag or tote girl. I guess I'm low maintenance because I never carried makeup, hair stuff, and assorted junk. Just the basics. I carry only a credit card wallet, phone, keys, tissue and Chapstick. Brighton is my favorite followed by Frye.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've pretty much always been a small bag gal....always a crossbody...unless I was working and then I had a tote, but still had a small bag inside...I just don't carry enough to warrant a large bag, nor do  I want to lug a heavy large bag to run errands.  I will say this, I think I look better with a larger bag, as I'm a bigger girl, small bags make be look bigger🤣

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I too packed away my bigger bags which some would call small. I was never a big bag or tote girl. I guess I'm low maintenance because I never carried makeup, hair stuff, and assorted junk. Just the basics. I carry only a credit card wallet, phone, keys, tissue and Chapstick. Brighton is my favorite followed by Frye.

@Meowingkitty - yeah, I don't and have never carried makeup, hair stuff and "assorted junk" either.  Years and years and years ago, I would carry a Corn Silk powder compact.  I don't carry a brush either. My hair is extremely short.  I brush it when I wash it and that's all it needs for the day.

I haven't travelled for awhile unfortunately.  I would carry a larger bag then.  But for errands and lunch out and stuff, I really only need the things I listed in my post.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I have always carried a huge tote size bag when I went to work but never to go most other places.  I just put my thin  wallet in my jean pocket as well as maybe lip gloss and my keys on a wrist band..  I never liked having to be burdened by my bag all the time shopping or going out to eat.  Now retired there are very few places I would carry a bag.

Valued Contributor

I was never interested in giant handbags for everyday use, but I did use medium size bags when I was younger. I'm like you. I love crossbody bags now. I have a Vera Bradley crossbody bag. Not only is the perfect size for me, but it's machine washable. I find that it's sometimes a bother to carry big bags. Some events that I like to go to like the theatre or ballet don't allow large bags. 

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh   I still carry too much stuff. For work, I’m currently using a medium bag now, a Dooney zip, zip.  I’m not liking it so much. What else am I really using in that heavy bag?  I’m not.  If I’m going somewhere on the weekends, most times it’s a small or medium crossbody.  A card holder, phone, keys, Kleenex and a lip balm or lip crayon, a small hand cream.  A few mints.  More than enough.  I’m 61.  

I need to rethink my handbag collection.  I have a lot less bags than I used to, but most are just taking up space. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer cross bodies, I like the hands free ability.  They have become more popular over the years and there are more choices.  I don't think it has anything to do with age...just efficient.