Honored Contributor

Re: Size of your bag as you age

[ Edited ]

I am almost 60, and I haven't carried a large heavy bag in years. I stopped carrying them before I retired as they were hurting my shoulder. I don't carry as much stuff around with me as I used to so I no longer need a large bag. I switched to small & medium lightweight shoulder or crossbody bags, and I've never gone back. 

Frequent Contributor

Thanks❣️

Esteemed Contributor

@MG Chris wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@MG Chris wrote:

FABB5ADA-8598-4E7F-B029-E9EFABAE366F.jpeg

I bought two a black one and a white one. The dimensions are: 41.5 W x 35.8 H x 18 D for those who were commenting on the size.

Could that be centimeters rather than inches... 41 cm is equel to about 16 inches... 35.8 cm = about 14 inches and 18cm = about 7 inches, which look about right for this bag... Even though it's a larger bag, it's not quite luggage size...

I have no idea. I bought it from a store in the UK. The white one has been on backorder for six weeks and I just got notification the shipped yesterday.

Yes. These bags are sold in the UK so I am quite certain the dimensions are in cm.

Super Contributor

I am 71 yrs and don't even like carrying bags anymore.  I have tens of dooney Burke bags that I bought from QVC and Macys only when they are on sale and when I would get an addional marked down price.  I do like cross over bags but when I decide to buy them they must have enough room for glasses, keys, small wallet to hold my paper money and change plus ID and medical info and one credit card (just in case I decide I need another purse)!

Honored Contributor

My handbags have definitely changed thru the years.  

As a young mom, I had nice, multi compartment bags, always bought on sale at JC Penney's, so not high dollar by any means.  

Quality and price point on my bags went up once the youngest graduated high school, and I stayed with mid to wide length and depth leather bags up until I retired.  

In the years since I retired, it became instantly clear that big bags are just too much for me to handle when I leave the house.  Hanging onto a larger handbag at different VA facilities while in a crowded elevator, crowded waiting rooms, very small medical offices, etc., was not fun.  

As my mom has advanced with dementia, trying to keep up with my bag, her bag, and her on an outing, is not easy.  Sadly, taking  my mother to a medical appt now is like taking a young child; I can't take my eyes off her for a second, nor trust her to carry her own bag.  For the last 2 years, I carry a wristlet, we leave her handbag at home, and I just have to keep up with her and 2 hearing aids!  

All summer I have carried cloth crossbody bags, or a small leather wristlet.  I don't need to carry much for doctor and radiation appts, grocery runs, and stops at the market, which is the extent of my outings right now.  

Frequent Contributor

How do you post your photos?

Frequent Contributor

I figured it out.  I am 63 and this is what I am carrying.  I may size down once I retire, but for now I love it.

5F7F2492-267A-41E5-9284-FA1F8DD400B4.jpeg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was working I carried a large Dooney tote...it had pockets inside and out and held everything I needed for work and myself. I can't believe how it seems now. Now I carry a VBradley Mailbag in black microfiber. It is a bit large for a crossbody but I really like it and bought a navy one also. Very lightweight when empty so I can control how heavy it is. It has four compartments and since I have to have two medicines with me at all times it has a small zippered place for it for easy access...I have to carry medical papers and cards,  so I carry  that, keys, phone; hand sanitizer ,lip balm and tissue. It's the smallest bag I can get away with or I would go even smaller! I am not sure when I will switch out to a lighter brown Coach bag.

Respected Contributor

I carry a small to medium sized  Vera Bradley cross body.  I only carry a wallet (full size), sunglass case, lip balm, tissues and my phone which is in an outside pocket.  I have another outer pocket that I keep receipts in.  I have a clip for my keys that I hang on my strap.

Valued Contributor

I carry a Lug crossbody day to day.  It suits my lifestyle and its not heavy.  Its not big but fits everything I need.  I only change into other purses if I am going out.  I have some Radley, Dooneys and others I use for special occasions when I like to have a leather bag.