Esteemed Contributor

Re: Size of your bag as you age

Not necessarily the size but the weight.  A few years ago I purged all the heavy D&B and most structured bags for soft leather bags.  I even went back to old coach bags.  I love my Kate Spade soft leather in particular.  I do have two Brahmins,  rarely carry them but are so beautiful I can't part with them.

I am not a fan of cross body as I find them uncomfortable and to small for my needs.  It's the sunglass case that never fits.  Also not a fan of fabric bags.  Yes, I am crazy partucular, but I like what I like.

Trusted Contributor

If anything my bags keep getting bigger. I just ordered two new handbags and they are 41” wide. I cannot stand a small handbag. 

Frequent Contributor

Yes, I've changed the size(s). I've had  2 of my girlfriends criticize the sizes of purses I used, which were not that large mind you: "how can you carry a such a  suitcase". They carried sizes that just fit their keys, small wallets, and not much else. I was so appalled that they picked on my purse choices.  I would never criticize anyone about what purse they use...none of my business nor do I careI I carry my car keys, wallet, pen, iphone, a round pill box, inhaler, lipstick, eye glass case, and other minor accessories. Because they gave me such a complex, I've downsized my everyday my purses.  I carry small cross body purses for outings when I don't need to carry all carry in my everyday purse. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've curated my collection, and haven't bought a new "regular" purse in ages. I love Dooney's, have my good classics still...only 3. Have a few other good leather purses. I take them out when I need something smart to wear for an occasion.

Have some dress/evening purses I also use occasionally as needed. Have some cute summer purses, clutches. I use them all occasionally.

BUT, my favorite everyday bag of choice now and for the past 5 years, has been a small crossbody. I just love being hands-free, and lightweight!

I have a small collection of Lug, Aimee L. Katzenburg, Joy Susan, Baggallini, all crossbodies...all my favs and I switch out among them. 

I have bigger totes, nylon (lightweight) when I need to schlepp more than the essentials, then I put my small crossbody inside and just grab and go into a store with that.

I have some lightweight, streamlined Lug backpacks for travel, which I love, and hold all I need them to, without being bulky or heavy.

never was one to love carrying a bag of heavy stuff around everyday, much as I admire a nice looking leather bag...I don't love the carrying around of them! 

Honored Contributor

@MG Chris wrote:

If anything my bags keep getting bigger. I just ordered two new handbags and they are 41” wide. I cannot stand a small handbag. 

@MG Chris - 41 inches????  Are you sure about that?  A large suitcase isn't 41 inches.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

I just turned 69 and I am not a small bag fan.  I don't like putting the strap over my head with a crossbody bag and I don't like it when bags are stuffed full.  For my birthday I bought myself a new Dooney lizard tote.  I don't carry make-up or glasses, but I do want room for my planner, steno notebook that I use for grocery lists, and often my Kindle. 

I bought a beautiful Baggallini backpack to go to Disney World with the granddaughters.  It was great for the airplane/airports.  I had a small Baggallini crossbody (like a horizonal wallet) that I used at the parks.  That worked great because we had a stroller with a place to put extra shoes, rain ponchos, snacks, etc.  But I could never use a backpack as a purse like some women do.  It's not that convenient to get in and out of. 

Honored Contributor

@Villagesbabe wrote:

Yes, I've changed the size(s). I've had  2 of my girlfriends criticize the sizes of purses I used, which were not that large mind you: "how can you carry a such a  suitcase". They carried sizes that just fit their keys, small wallets, and not much else. I was so appalled that they picked on my purse choices.  I would never criticize anyone about what purse they use...none of my business nor do I careI I carry my car keys, wallet, pen, iphone, a round pill box, inhaler, lipstick, eye glass case, and other minor accessories. Because they gave me such a complex, I've downsized my everyday my purses.  I carry small cross body purses for outings when I don't need to carry all carry in my everyday purse. 

@Villagesbabe -I'm so sorry they did that and it had such an effect on you. Carry whatever you want.

I'm fortunate, to look at it that way, that I don't have to ever carry an eyeglass case as I have to wear my glasses all the time. So, no glass case and no sunglasses for me.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MG Chris wrote:

If anything my bags keep getting bigger. I just ordered two new handbags and they are 41” wide. I cannot stand a small handbags

That's not a handbag, that's a piece of luggage. Hope it has wheels.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't use handbags anymore.

As I got older, I worried about someone snatching it out of my hand -- or that I'd set it down (for whatever reason) and then forget it.

I use a small crossbody bag, a small backpack, or a waist pack.

I especially like small nylon crossbody bags in black. 

Small waist packs are nice when doing long walks or hikes. When biking, I put it in my cloth basket which has a drawstring closure.

Trusted Contributor

For me, the size of bag I carry has more to do with the activity of the day, rather than age.  However, I have never been able to carry a small bag.  I like to open my bag and see what I want, and not have to remove things to get to whatever it is I am after.  I have seen too many times women paying for something carrying small bags and having to remove a bunch of stuff to get to their wallets.

I imagine a scenario where something then gets left behind.

When I am traveling I always opt for an extra large tote,