Respected Contributor

A lot of bag manufacturers do this. I have found that when carrying a tote, I don't double (or stack )the straps. I actually spread them out so that is wider. This does depend on the size of someone's shoulder. If you have larger shoulders, this won't work. It works also because the tote is made of a lighter material. One can also find the shoulder pad to fit over the strap. But then the strap has to be removable.

My thing about shulder straps is the drop length. I can manage with a 10 inch strap-- 11 inches is better. I can actually manage with 8 inches. A lot of women can't. Or maybe they would like to be able to carry the bag when they're wearing a thick winter coat with layers!

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@makena

I've wondered the same thing. I've noticed this especially with the heavy Dooney bags. It doesn't make sense.

I absolutely agree and I HATE that. It's a way for them to save money. They can cut twice as many straps from a piece of leather if they make them half as wide and charge us full price. It's awful.

One thing I looked for in my Dooney bags was the equestrian style with the D-ring and clips on the strap. I have some older bags with wider straps and often would unclip the narrow straps and swap in my wider straps.

Super Contributor

@makena wrote:

Why do they make these beautiful larger bags and put thin straps on them?  I mean if they are a good size bag you're going to fill it and it will be heavy.  I need a wide, thick strap for the shoulder.  So many bags I've returned for that very reason.

I have asked the same question many times.  I passed up many bags because of thin straps.

Respected Contributor

I also WISH they would sell straps separately and WIDER!  I wont buy a bag with a skinny strap that digs into my shoulder-  

Esteemed Contributor

Totally agree and I hate the way those skinny straps look!

Super Contributor

I hate to say it but my beloved Dooney drives me bonkers with the skinny straps on their totes and shoppers ...  I have never seen a handbag from Dooney that did not have substantial and usually beautiful strap detail -- but their totes OMG, why?!   I had to take a pass on the really great-looking Flowers Addison tote on the ILD website because the straps on that bag are actually hilariously teeny!  Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

I can't get narrow straps to stay on my shoulder so I don't buy purses with them.