Re: Saffiano (A278598) -- soften over time? Dents?

[ Edited ]

I have a couple of Kate Spade bags and wallets and just purchased my first new set using the Saffiano leather. I'm thrilled with them as they're so much more durable and easier to keep clean so I can finally use my new set as a 'daily driver', if you will. My others get little use due to the expense and my not wanting to damage them in any way. They're just too delicate for my comfort so they only get out of the dust bag for special occassions or events. While I'd like it if they were a bit more supple, I'm willing to accept the harder finish to ensure a happy, long life of a set I intend to carry regularly. A big thumb's up in my opinion. Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

That's why I'm not the biggest fan of saffiano. Once it gets dented or misshapen, it is hard to fix.

Some owners of Prada saffiano bags have resorted to using blow dryers. I don't like the idea of applying heat. I own three pieces in saffiano leather. My Dooney Flynn has held up very well. My small Coach satchel, not so much. (It was my first and I didn't even know what saffiano was. Live and learn.) If it's a tote you might want to use a shaper to keep the bottom from sagging.

Here's the other thing about saffiano: iti is water resistant, but not waterproof. There have been reports of it warping after bags were out in torrential downpours. I've never had that happen, but then I don't take really nice bags out in bad weather.

Honored Contributor

I have no experience with older saffiano because I have never purchased it.  I don't care for the feel of it when it is new so I never took the plunge.  As others have stated, there are different qualities of everything.