Esteemed Contributor

Re: STILL TRYING TO DOWNSIZE HUGE BAGS. HELP!

@Shanus, Oh, I can relate to this.  I keep a large bag, fully packed, in my kitchen closet.  Once in a while I will carry it, when I only going to one local place and doing little walking.  I change it for the season.  Most of the time I use a crossbody or a small light shoulder bag or tiny satchel.  I will put a few essentials in that, including driver’s license, etc. in a tiny wallet.  Then I put my big packed bag in the car.  

There are so many cute little bags out there.  I have quite a few now, and they have helped me save my back.  I have bought many on the ILoveDooney site and gotten many bargains.  

Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

We get a little shorter as we get older - between gravity pushing us down - we carry unnecessary loads adding to the downward pull. 

Honored Contributor

I carry a backpack.  Don't have much in it.  My lunch, bottle of water..  To work.  That's about it.  I also carry a small crossbody (Lug) That has my phone, wallet and sunglasses.  Sometimes I combine the two, but I like to have access to my wallet & phone no matter where I am. I don't need to carry anything else.  No makeup bag, bush, etc. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve been in the process of selling my bags on eBay because I am sick of digging into a bottomless pit. I was never one to carry a big bag anyways but still they were getting very annoying, so I’ve recently decided to downsize to a Brighton Barbados organizer bag. It has credit card slots so no wallet needed, a place for cash. I only carry some aspirin, keys, sunglasses, chapstick, Kleenex and small tweezers. Everything fits fine and no more digging for stuff. Plus it’s lightweight. 

When i I was younger (way younger) I used to carry a pocket knife, makeup, comb, brush, aspirin, bandages, etc and over time realized I never needed any of that stuff. So my bags just became smaller and smaller. 

Honored Contributor

A Swiss army knife??  What are you expecting to happen that you would need that on a daily basis--LOL!!  I agree with a previous poster about the weight of the bag.  Some of the leather bags that seem to be so popular with posters weigh a ton before anything is put in them.  I prefer Baggallini.  There are many sizes to choose from but I Iike the cross body bags.  Big enough to hold my "essentials."

Honored Contributor

I’ve started wearing my prescription graduated bifocal glasses all the time even though really only need them for reading...the upper portion is almost clear, but it elimates a bulky case in my bag. That’s really annoying, but does help. I also change bags frequently, another reason to pare down the contents. 

I’m no longer purchasing D&B leather bags...too heavy and my LV bags are in dust covers retired to a top shelf. I’m thinking of purchasing lightweight nylon pouches...that may help some with the weight issue. They do help w/ organization and make changing bags easier.

Trusted Contributor

I love large leather tote or hobo style bags!  Always have.  But I no longer carry them.  That shot in my shoulder a few months ago set me straight!  I now carry nylon or Vera Bradley lightweight bags for everyday, but still bring more than I need.Woman Surprised

I do carry a large wallet; I can't break that habit.  My makeup case has been significantly reduced, reading glasses, phone, small handcream, small VB pouch w/nail file, phone charger, and a few smaller things I really don't need.  Instead of hand sanitizer, I carry wipes - they can be shoved anywhere in the bag.  Still a bit heavier than needed, but I no longer carry shoulder bag, it has to be a cross body.

Yet, when I go out in the evening, I somehow manage to carry one of the smaller Lug bags and am quite satisfied.  Don't get it.

Now let's talk about my work bag! (NOT!)

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

A Swiss army knife??  What are you expecting to happen that you would need that on a daily basis--LOL!!  I agree with a previous poster about the weight of the bag.  Some of the leather bags that seem to be so popular with posters weigh a ton before anything is put in them.  I prefer Baggallini.  There are many sizes to choose from but I Iike the cross body bags.  Big enough to hold my "essentials."

@kaydee50   I know the Swiss Army knife sounds weird. I have used the scissors often, as well as, the nail file and oh God, the tweezers in a dressing room too well-lit mirror! 😁

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@kaydee50.  I used to always carry a Swiss Army knife. Mine had just about everything on it from,scissors, toothpick,file, corkscrew, very small blades to a larger one and much more. Don’t carry it anymore because I don’t go much farther than the grocery store, Dr. or dentist.

Honored Contributor

I keep all of the "extras" in a zipper pouch on my front seat with my CDs and tissue.Smiley Happy