Honored Contributor

STILL TRYING TO DOWNSIZE HUGE BAGS. HELP!

I’ve been shlepping large, heavy bags, totes for most of my adult life. My shoulders are screaming for help! I’ve tried laying everything out on the table and seeing what items can be eliminated, purchased a lighterweight wallet and smaller cosmetic case that now only accommodates a small mirror and one lipstick.

I still have the issue of being a “what if” person. I have a  pouch of “maybes”...antacids, cough drops, sewing kit, Swiss Army knife, extra daily prescription meds, etc. Then add my hand sanitizer, phone (of course), glasses, keys, hearing aid batteries and other assorted items. 

I so envy women carrying the tiny crossbodies. What a relief it must be. Maybe I need intervention.

Respected Contributor

Re: STILL TRYING TO DOWNSIZE HUGE BAGS. HELP!

Could you maybe leave the "what if" items in your car (or desk, if you work)...rather than carrying it everywhere?  Obviously you will want your glasses, keys, phone and meds with you at all times.

I can't stand to carry a big, heavy bag.....you would laugh if you saw the little crossbody I use most of the time.  Big enough for a tiny wallet with my cards and ID and some cash, keys, and phone.  I wear my glasses when I'm going out (maybe you use readers, and don't need all the time).  

I have a huge Chanel bag that I never use...it's just too big!!!  I have some degenerating discs in my neck, and don't need any extra weight pulling on my shoulder/neck area.  Good luck in your quest...hope you find a solution that works for you!!  (We are all so different, I know!!).

Esteemed Contributor

How far do you usually travel?  I mean, a trip to a local place might not require the sewing kit, and many places have hand sanitizer available (unless you feel you really need it - I get it).

I like to be prepared, myself.  Maybe you can come up with a little kit that stays in the car for the meds (antacids, cough drops) - if you're worried about the weather inside the car, bring it back in when you're home.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus  I'm one of the people who carry the small crossbody bags!   I don't need a lot, but I need what I need.  My bag has to fit the following:

• SMALL wallet
  • Reading Glasses
  • Sunglasses (bulky!)
  • Small brush (which I rarely use).  I carry one that closes in around itself with a mirror inside
  • Lipstick
  • Pens
  • Phone
  • Keys
  • Nail file
  • Gum

That's it.  It would get lost in a big bag.  Anything else would be lugged around for no reason.  

If I'm going someplace where I'll have a lot of time to kill, I'll bring my iPad. That would need a separate bag or larger pocketbook.  Usually a separate bag.

ETA... I keep hand sanitizer in my car, not my bag.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

When is the last time that you actually used and need the sewing kit, Swiss Army knife, and cough drops, and so on? Like some of the others said, put in a bag and leave in the car so they are accessible, if needed. You might find that you really never use your “emergency” stash. Also, the weight of the handbag can make a HUGE difference. I’ve started looking at the weight of the purse before purchasing. Also, maybe instead of a wallet, get a purse that already has slots for credit cards and other organized pockets and things like that. There’s quite a few companies that have that along with the RFID protection. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

Could you maybe leave the "what if" items in your car (or desk, if you work)...rather than carrying it everywhere?  Obviously you will want your glasses, keys, phone and meds with you at all times.

I can't stand to carry a big, heavy bag.....you would laugh if you saw the little crossbody I use most of the time.  Big enough for a tiny wallet with my cards and ID and some cash, keys, and phone.  I wear my glasses when I'm going out (maybe you use readers, and don't need all the time).  

I have a huge Chanel bag that I never use...it's just too big!!!  I have some degenerating discs in my neck, and don't need any extra weight pulling on my shoulder/neck area.  Good luck in your quest...hope you find a solution that works for you!!  (We are all so different, I know!!).

@alicedee   I’m walking crooked...one shoulder higher than the other. Great idea having a stash of “extras” in the car. I do that when we go to dinner, etc. Take a small bag into the restaurant, but still have the security of my big day bag in the car. Therapy?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus @How often have you needed the What if items?I am not often that far from home where I can’t make do for a bit or if necessary could purchase something for an upset.I have pared down to a small nylon crossbody with a built in wallet.I carry keys,hairbrush,packets of wipes,lip balm and hand lotion and cell phone.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I’ve been shlepping large, heavy bags, totes for most of my adult life. My shoulders are screaming for help! I’ve tried laying everything out on the table and seeing what items can be eliminated, purchased a lighterweight wallet and smaller cosmetic case that now only accommodates a small mirror and one lipstick.

I still have the issue of being a “what if” person. I have a  pouch of “maybes”...antacids, cough drops, sewing kit, Swiss Army knife, extra daily prescription meds, etc. Then add my hand sanitizer, phone (of course), glasses, keys, hearing aid batteries and other assorted items. 

I so envy women carrying the tiny crossbodies. What a relief it must be. Maybe I need intervention.

I am a what if person also, i to wish i could carry little bags, but just don't work for me,your not alone.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I got rid of all but two  of my leather bags, i like kipling ,cyrene, on here.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I’m walking crooked...one shoulder higher than the other. Great idea having a stash of “extras” in the car. I do that when we go to dinner, etc. Take a small bag into the restaurant, but still have the security of my big day bag in the car. Therapy?

@Shanus , I think you're fine.  It's when you can't leave the house at all  - now that could be a problem . . .

Cogito ergo sum