Respected Contributor

Re: STILL TRYING TO DOWNSIZE HUGE BAGS. HELP!

[ Edited ]

@QsMom   TOO Many!  LOL  I always carry one or two credit cards, but also BJs card, Costco card, professional licenses (2), and now, Medicare, Supplement, and Drug Plan cards.  Plus my driver's license!  This list brings me up to nine-ten, minimum!  

Image result for rolling eyes emoji

I do use Apple pay for boarding passes, though!  LOL

@QsMom wrote:

Also, think about how many cards you actually NEED in your wallet. 

Frequent Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@QsMom   TOO Many!  LOL  I always carry one or two credit cards, but also BJs card, Costco card, professional licenses (2), and now, Medicare, Supplement, and Drug Plan cards.  Plus my driver's license!  This list brings me up to nine-ten, minimum!  

Image result for rolling eyes emoji

I do use Apple pay for boarding passes, though!  LOL

@QsMom wrote:

Also, think about how many cards you actually NEED in your wallet. 

@ItsME Of course, if you need those items everyday, then you need them. :-)

I planned a trip to the public library yesterday, so I brought my library card with me, but I don't need that card everyday. Same with when I went to the dentist earlier this week. I brought my dental insurance card because it had new info on it. But otherwise, I don't carry my insurance card with me. I just don't need those things on a daily basis.

I'm actually an Apple Pay newbie (started using it only within the last year) but am in love with it. I thought it was cool enough just using my phone, but when I saw someone using her Apple watch to pay at Wegmans, I was in awe. Yes, I am a nerd. Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

I've switched totally to crossbodies in the past two years.  I need my hands free.  What I would do if I were you is pack all extras in a non-descript bag (not to attract thieves) and keep that in your car.  

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

I have never been fond of the look of huge handbags. Just me. I take any meds I need at home and don’t need to carry them, and, for better or worse, I have never even thought of carrying a sewing kit, which you mentioned. In my bag, I usually have a Dooney wristlet with ID, credit cards, insurance cards (auto and medical); small hairbrush; a few makeup basics (lipgloss, blush, concealer, mascara), and sunglasses. Tums go in the car door pocket, our small cellphone goes in the car console, and that’s it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  My days of carrying a large bag ended when i retired.  My everyday bag is a Lug crossbody and it holds everything that I need.  It is the one that I also take on vacation and it holds plenty.  I also like Vera Bradley.  Both brands are light weight and are really roomy without being bulky.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@Shanus 

I have never been fond of the look of huge handbags. Just me. I take any meds I need at home and don’t need to carry them, and, for better or worse, I have never even thought of carrying a sewing kit, which you mentioned. In my bag, I usually have a Dooney wristlet with ID, credit cards, insurance cards (auto and medical); small hairbrush; a few makeup basics (lipgloss, blush, concealer, mascara), and sunglasses. Tums go in the car door pocket, our small cellphone goes in the car console, and that’s it. 

@libbyannE   Sewing kit is tiny like the type complimentary in hotel rooms, but my cell phone goes with me everywhere and meds are the ones I’d need to take while away from the house. I’m thinking my full-size wallet is the culprit. I do empty all the loose change that accumulates every few days...amazing how heavy that is...and have eliminated any cards I don’t use. I always keep my AAA for car trouble, charge cards, insurance cards/Medicare info, etc. DH said I can put most of that info into my phone and eliminate the cards. At every doctor’s appt., they’ve asked for actual cards to make copies to add to my chart, so not sure how that would work. Charge cards also seem to be swiped...clerks don’t want just the number off your phone.

Honored Contributor

I started switching over to smaller & lighter bags a few years ago. My shoulder was bothering me so I had to do something. I only have small bags now.

I bought a small wallet that fits in my small bags, but sometimes I just pull out the cards & cash I need and put them in an inside pocket. 

I also carry my rescue inhaler, lip balm, small hand lotion & brush, emory board, a few tissues, mints, keys, & phone. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

I hear you. Yes, I carry the actual cards, too. You may be right about the full-.size wallet. I thought I had to have one, but I have been very happy with my decision to move the basics into a wristlet. I find that I accumulate less stuff, too, because thecwristlet demands that I toss extraneous bits of paper, change, receipts. I like your idea of  carrying a tiny hotel sewing kit. I have oodles if them from all my years of traveling during my career.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@Shanus 

I hear you. Yes, I carry the actual cards, too. You may be right about the full-.size wallet. I thought I had to have one, but I have been very happy with my decision to move the basics into a wristlet. I find that I accumulate less stuff, too, because thecwristlet demands that I toss extraneous bits of paper, change, receipts. I like your idea of  carrying a tiny hotel sewing kit. I have oodles if them from all my years of traveling during my career.

@libbyannE   Usually when I leave the house, I’m out for the day. That means taking what I need for all my stops, errands, shopping....I have my afternoon meds, a small bottle of water in my bag (too hot to leave in car), a few protein bars, card of hearing aid batteries and yes full size wallet with various charge cards. We use three: I have my  account for clothing, makeup, lunches out, art supplies and any personal expenses. The house account is for food shopping, paying monthly house related bills and household items like towels, sheets, car repairs, cleaners, etc. I have a card to DH’s business account if he needs me to stop at Staples, for example, to have them load printer paper or office supplies in my car. Yes, I use all 3 many times while out.

Love the sewing kits...have loose buttons, pin up a hem when trying on new pants and drop them off at tailor on way home...saves another trip out to her. Oooh! Also love the hotel shower caps for hair masks and little soaps are in my underwear and nightie drawers as “sachets”. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus I have been wild about Joy Susan's classic tote.  Although I prefer leather, it's impossible to tell this isn't!

Such a comfortable strap!!!  I got a white one on vacation last year and immediately ordered the dark charcoal gray smoke I loved it SO much!

It looks great with everything I wear!

Another great light weight brand is HOBO.  Beautiful leathers!

I always loved Brahman, but I can barely stand the wieght empty!

(I took out the large center zip to make it lighter and use a small wristlet for money and  a small metal credit card case I take to the grocery store as a wallet.

I only have two small plastic zip cases for lipstic and coins to control weight).

Image result for joy susan handbags