Respected Contributor

Re: STILL TRYING TO DOWNSIZE HUGE BAGS. HELP!

@Shanus   I hear you.  It sure seems that getting older and growing larger handbags go together doesn't it?  I understand about the "what if" part too.  I was never a girl scout, but probably could have been a good one, because I'm always prepared!

I think it's inevitable that as time goes by we need more medications, glasses, etc.......things we didn't need years ago.  I've tried downsizing the contents (like you), and I've tried using smaller bags, but I end up stuffing them to a point where I can't get anything back out of them!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I’ve been in the process of selling my bags on eBay because I am sick of digging into a bottomless pit. I was never one to carry a big bag anyways but still they were getting very annoying, so I’ve recently decided to downsize to a Brighton Barbados organizer bag. It has credit card slots so no wallet needed, a place for cash. I only carry some aspirin, keys, sunglasses, chapstick, Kleenex and small tweezers. Everything fits fine and no more digging for stuff. Plus it’s lightweight. 

When i I was younger (way younger) I used to carry a pocket knife, makeup, comb, brush, aspirin, bandages, etc and over time realized I never needed any of that stuff. So my bags just became smaller and smaller. 

@Meowingkitty   I use a Brighton Jagger organizer bag with the built in wallet & love it!  It's quick & easy access to money & credit cards yet no one else can really get into the bag.  I'm thinking of getting a second Brighton organizer bag.

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

We get a little shorter as we get older - between gravity pushing us down - we carry unnecessary loads adding to the downward pull. 

@fthunt   Now you tell me!  All this time I've been blaming my shortened stature to aging.......when it was all about my large handbags!Cat Surprised

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I used to be a big bag person. One day a friend asked me why do you need all that stuff, just have the emergency items in your desk at work and/or your car and carry only the basics. For just going from one place to another you don't need all that. And she was right. I switched to small crossbodies about 3 years ago and never looked back.  And I never had an occasion where I needed any of those supplies I was lugging around. I had everything imaginable in my big bag. Crazy stuff. Life since I've downsized has been so great.  No more backaches.  Now I have a lot of big bags I'm contemplating giving away since they're so beautiful and in great shape.  I'm thinking the Salvation Army store could use them.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Shanus   I hear you.  It sure seems that getting older and growing larger handbags go together doesn't it?  I understand about the "what if" part too.  I was never a girl scout, but probably could have been a good one, because I'm always prepared!

I think it's inevitable that as time goes by we need more medications, glasses, etc.......things we didn't need years ago.  I've tried downsizing the contents (like you), and I've tried using smaller bags, but I end up stuffing them to a point where I can't get anything back out of them!

@2blonde  😆😆😆

Frequent Contributor

Here’s an idea that will perhaps make your bag feel lighter! I stoped using the small bags inside the big bag. Instead I switched to quart size slider plastic bags purchased from from grocery store. They last forever. Add no weight. And you can easily see all the contents! I have one for cosmetics and the other for all those little items like readers, mints, tissues, pens, etc. then I took it a step further. Instead of a pack of tissues I just take 2. Instead of my entire checkbook wallet I just take two blank checks. And then get as many mini items as possible. Tiny hairbrush. Mini bottle of hand lotion. You see where I am going! This is actually a fun project! Downsize but still have all the essentials you need. By doing this I am now able to carry all my essentials in a much smaller bag. I throw in things like extra earring backs and a couple of safety pins. I’m ready for anything with minimal weight!
Frequent Contributor

One more idea I forgot to include! Most bags have a back zippered compartment. I’ve found I can forgo a wallet and use that for coins , bills and cards. Wallets can be heavy!
Esteemed Contributor

I think it's a matter of recognizing that you really don't need to haul around all of those "what ifs" in your everyday bag. I don't remember if you're still working, but if you are then keep those items in your desk and maybe another emergency kit in your car. If you're retired, just keep the kit in your car. I've switched to a Vera Bradley. I love her small Vera tote because it's so light weight - but - I only carry a slim Patricia Nash wallet (light weight), lipstick/gloss, phone and sunglasses, and still have enough room that I can stick a paperback in it when waiting for hubby's doctor appointments.  I'm not really good with small cross body bags, but the lightweight nylon/cloth bags are perfect as long as you don't load them up!

Respected Contributor

I used to love my beautiful leather bags. I now have back and shoulder issues and I have donated all of them except 1 green and 1 brown and they are not oversized.  I use them rarely.  I carry a minimum of items.

Wallet, checkbook, very small bag with lipgloss and small miscellaneous itemsm a small medicine case, phone, keys, comb, glasses case and that is it.

My solution has been Vera Bradley cloth bags.  I love the patterns and they also come in black and other colors.  The Glenda sachel is a medium size lightweight bag that should accommodate whatever you need to carry.   It is quite roomy.  For myself I buy the On-the-Go bag which is a little smaller than the Glenda and it fits my needs perfectly.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 @Meowingkitty  I used to have a small Brighton organizer, and loved it.  Same shape as the Nepal, but an older model.  It was just a TEENY bit too small (I need reading glasses AND sunglasses!), but I'd go with the same style now anyway, EXECPT that the card slots aren't RFID protected, and therefore I'd need something added to protect the chips.  But, I do love the bags.

@haddon9 wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I’ve been in the process of selling my bags on eBay because I am sick of digging into a bottomless pit. I was never one to carry a big bag anyways but still they were getting very annoying, so I’ve recently decided to downsize to a Brighton Barbados organizer bag. It has credit card slots so no wallet needed, a place for cash. I only carry some aspirin, keys, sunglasses, chapstick, Kleenex and small tweezers. Everything fits fine and no more digging for stuff. Plus it’s lightweight. 

When i I was younger (way younger) I used to carry a pocket knife, makeup, comb, brush, aspirin, bandages, etc and over time realized I never needed any of that stuff. So my bags just became smaller and smaller. 

@Meowingkitty   I use a Brighton Jagger organizer bag with the built in wallet & love it!  It's quick & easy access to money & credit cards yet no one else can really get into the bag.  I'm thinking of getting a second Brighton organizer bag.