Honored Contributor

Re: STILL TRYING TO DOWNSIZE HUGE BAGS. HELP!

@alicedee wrote:

Could you maybe leave the "what if" items in your car (or desk, if you work)...rather than carrying it everywhere?  Obviously you will want your glasses, keys, phone and meds with you at all times.

I can't stand to carry a big, heavy bag.....you would laugh if you saw the little crossbody I use most of the time.  Big enough for a tiny wallet with my cards and ID and some cash, keys, and phone.  I wear my glasses when I'm going out (maybe you use readers, and don't need all the time).   

I have a huge Chanel bag that I never use...it's just too big!!!  I have some degenerating discs in my neck, and don't need any extra weight pulling on my shoulder/neck area.  Good luck in your quest...hope you find a solution that works for you!!  (We are all so different, I know!!).

That is exactly what I did when I couldn’t handle carrying the huge bags anymore.  I dumped everything I carried on the bed and figured out what I actually needed when I was running errands, etc.  That I put in a small crossbody bag.  The rest I left in the big bag.  The crossbody went into the big bag, and when I went in a store I just took that.  I still had the “security” of having all my stuff in the car in the big bag if I needed it.

Eventually I was able to realize I never ever needed all that extra stuff in the big bag.  Now I just carry a small crossbody.  I just couldn’t go “cold-turkey”! 😀

Trusted Contributor

Many years ago where I was working they started a new security program where they handed out 12 x 13 clear plastic purses we could only use working there. I learned real quick what I really needed in my purse. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I’ve been shlepping large, heavy bags, totes for most of my adult life. My shoulders are screaming for help! I’ve tried laying everything out on the table and seeing what items can be eliminated, purchased a lighterweight wallet and smaller cosmetic case that now only accommodates a small mirror and one lipstick.

I still have the issue of being a “what if” person. I have a  pouch of “maybes”...antacids, cough drops, sewing kit, Swiss Army knife, extra daily prescription meds, etc. Then add my hand sanitizer, phone (of course), glasses, keys, hearing aid batteries and other assorted items. 

I so envy women carrying the tiny crossbodies. What a relief it must be. Maybe I need intervention.

sewing kit

hand santizer

hearing aid battery etc, 

do you really need all of those?

most places you go have hand sanitizer available and there are places to wash hands,

if you need a battery tape one to a piece of paper and put in your wallet 

army knife I used to carry one, but stopped 

you can downsize,  just need to really think about what you need.

I have a wallet, phone, advil, CCard  , lipstick for the day, that's it. 

Honored Contributor

must be the outlier,   no hand sanitizer at all,

what is everyone so worried about ?

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

Understand well the “ what if’s “.  

Think through each item: e.g., the mirror....cars have them, so do ladies rooms, some lipstick cases even have a small mirror attached, you can glue on a small circle one to the tube’s end, etc.

Meds:  small, flat, flexible pouch for extra pills...plastic wrapped to keep them separated.  ( I always have 325 mg aspirin just-in-case someone is having a heart attack ).

Sanitizer: use the “ pen “ type dispenser or wrapped towelettes.

Army knife...keep in car...may not get into buildings where there is a security checkpoint.  Nail file ( metal ) should be able to handle minor needs.

I went through the changeover when I was trying on clothes in a store and saw what my shoulder bag-carrying shoulder looked like compared to the other side.  Since arthritis runs in my mother’s side of the family, it was easy to do a solo intervention !!!

Good Luck....your bod6 has to last a longer time, from a74-year old, lol !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

Understand well the “ what if’s “.  

Think through each item: e.g., the mirror....cars have them, so do ladies rooms, some lipstick cases even have a small mirror attached, you can glue on a small circle one to the tube’s end, etc.

Meds:  small, flat, flexible pouch for extra pills...plastic wrapped to keep them separated.  ( I always have 325 mg aspirin just-in-case someone is having a heart attack ).

Sanitizer: use the “ pen “ type dispenser or wrapped towelettes.

Army knife...keep in car...may not get into buildings where there is a security checkpoint.  Nail file ( metal ) should be able to handle minor needs.

I went through the changeover when I was trying on clothes in a store and saw what my shoulder bag-carrying shoulder looked like compared to the other side.  Since arthritis runs in my mother’s side of the family, it was easy to do a solo intervention !!!

Good Luck....your body has to last a longer time, from a74-year old, lol !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

I stopped using wallets years ago.  Most small bags have a small, zippered pocket where I put my cash, driver's license, and any credit cards that I plan to use that day.  It makes it so much easier to just grab those things, and they are secure with the zipper.  No messing with the wallet and it really lightens things up.

Frequent Contributor

Re the Swiss Army knife, I have a small one that attaches to my keychain, so it doesn't take up much space. Plus, it's pink and matches my key fob. Smiley Very Happy I got it from Target, but I'm sure other stores sell them. Maybe that could help?

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 10.35.04 AM.png

Also, think about how many cards you actually NEED in your wallet. Often, all I carry is just one credit card [note that many stores accept Apple Pay, so often I don't even need to use my credit card] and my driver's license. I can put both of those in a tiny card case. A card case like this:

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 10.43.34 AM.png

Honored Contributor

I agree with another poster who suggested a separate bag to store all of those "what ifs" in your car or desk at work.  Just carry around the essentials. 

I downsized several years ago.  I now only carry a small wallet (however my current bag has a built in wallet!), phone, keys, small cosmetic bag that holds a small mirror & two lipsticks, aspirin, tissues and on rainy days a small compact umbrella.

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

must be the outlier,   no hand sanitizer at all,

what is everyone so worried about ?

I had to laugh.  You're not alone.  I'm more worried about a darn car crash or something.

Cogito ergo sum