Respected Contributor

How can anyone be over a Dooney?

It's the ONLY company that allows you to trade your current handbag in for half the price of a new one which is of equal or greater value.

I bought Coach and they it sits, tucked away for maybe or just maybe I might bring it out again.  I own the same for Michael Kors and Kate Spade, there they sit and shoved onto a shelf because I just can't bring myself to donating, tossing or possibly reselling (that's a lot of work too).

So, to me, unless you are buying a handbag $50 or under and have no problem donating to Goodwill, Dooney is a great investment to me.

Esteemed Contributor

I got a Kipling carry on bag for my trip in October. Got it on sale at Macy's a few weeks ago. It's big enough to carry my iPad and personal items on the plane and can put my purse in it without being to heavy. They are nice bags. I'm even thinking of getting a small crossbody for the trip. 

Super Contributor

I agree with you @Just Bling! My Vera, Coach and other bags literally sit unused and unloved. I can't bring myself to donate them. I've even tried giving the Vera and Coach to my teenage nieces - nope, they don't want them. They only want my Dooney & Bourke! They even asked if I'd make sure to separate them out in my will Smiley LOL I'll only carry D&B bags! The nylon are very pretty, too, and so light weight for those looking for light weight bags. The coated cotton are light weight too!

Honored Contributor

I'm with you - no more Rooney & Bork!!  For now anyway...

Honored Contributor

@firewife wrote:

I know it wasn't a designer name, but i miss the Stone Mtn. brand that

the Q had on years ago. They were quaiity leather and reasonbly priced.

Like a lot of other items, quality was a lot better "back in the day". 

I see lots of those bags at TJ Maxx.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

How can anyone be over a Dooney?

It's the ONLY company that allows you to trade your current handbag in for half the price of a new one which is of equal or greater value.

I bought Coach and they it sits, tucked away for maybe or just maybe I might bring it out again.  I own the same for Michael Kors and Kate Spade, there they sit and shoved onto a shelf because I just can't bring myself to donating, tossing or possibly reselling (that's a lot of work too).

So, to me, unless you are buying a handbag $50 or under and have no problem donating to Goodwill, Dooney is a great investment to me.

I have to agree, I love my DB's and some I've had over 20 years and they still look like new!

They're 'workhorses' for sure, so you do get your money's worth and DB is the only handbag co. that offers the trade-in program, which I've used a lot, LOL!

But I cannot lie...... I'm a Brahmin 'ho too, LOL!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

How can anyone be over them? Different strokes I guess. For me, over time, it seems that most of their bags 'just miss'. There's something about almost all of them that just isn't quite fitting the bill. Besides which, I've reached the saturation point and only a few of their current bags, (and incidentally not sold here), have any appeal for me anymore. I hardly use the ones I've got and so the trade-in is only useful if you want more... I don't... If you love them, enjoy them...

Smiley Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Re: Rooney and Bourke

[ Edited ]

@Trix wrote:

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

I have noticed some of the very chic dressing girls in my area who once carried Brahmin (which is not heavy but I feel like it is too Sunday-go-to-meeting or luncheon for everyday wear) or D&B are now carrying Vera Bradley backpacks or crossbody bags. I am not sure if iit is because it is spring and everyone wants a floral bag or just tired of carrying the weight and want a rest but it seems the young ladies here are Vera Bradley fans all the way.  I hope that spreads to the older ladies who want to carry less weight on these old shoulders.

@Nonametoday, I am constantly amazed at how many fashion forward young women carrying Vera Bradley purses and backpacks.  Kipling is another brand which seems hot with the younger crowd.  Stroll past any downtown Chicago hotel and you'll probably see some Vera luggage being carried in or out.  

As much as I love a fine leather bag, I had to give them up for daily use because of the stress from the weight on my shoulders.  I was forced to make the decision for well being, but my sense of style doesn't feel compromised at all. 

REPLY FROM NAT:  I will start the trend in my age group.  Most will follow and it will be such a relief off our shoulders and backs.  I have a black quilted Vera backpack and this will be my first attempt.  I will buy another carry from Vera and see if I can't take a load off and for luncheons, I will carry my Brahmin bags.  I might donate my D&B to the shelter for abused women . I work there twice per month and there are many who could use them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday, Your idea of donating bags you may no longer use is very thoughtful and generous.  I donated many of my larger leathers because I absolutely knew after a third shoulder surgery that I would never carry them again.  I did hang onto most of the dressy and evening leathers, and the mid-sized bags for carrying every now and again.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Check Nordstrom the next sale.  They have beautiful leather bags some of which I have never heard of.  

Nordstroms will bring in high quality Italian leather handbags with no recognizable name.  They have a huge industry in Italy and the handbags are exquisite and probably not much more than a Dooney. Check them out.... really beautiful.  Sometimes I've found these Italian bags being sold off at TJMaxx.  Believe me, they are quality handbags..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*