Honored Contributor

Re: Rediculous shipping. Charges on Dooneys...

I would never pay that amount of shipping for purse that may or may NOT work out for me, especially since you no longer receive a refund of your original shipping fees.

HOWEVER, QVC just had TWO free shipping events fairly close together!

You should have purchased it then!

Respected Contributor

Ok, here's the thing:

We pay outrageous shipping charges.Have you personally tried to mail a package lately? shipping has gone up.

.They have to make money if you want them around to buy from in the future. I know no one wants to hear that (or read that.) They have a very generous return policy. And that return policy means higher costs for everyone else.

If it's not going to work out, at least you can return it.  That is not the case at regular retail sites. We complain about getting used bags sold as new. (They need to work on that), but that's part of it. And yes, it drives up shipping costs.  It's your choice.

Honored Contributor

Other brands of handbags have free shipping here all the time. Why can't D&B offer it too?  

Honored Contributor

About shipping... I think it's pretty much been established that for QVC shipping is a profit center. They make money on it. Even when they offer free shipping, which we all know to be rare, returns are rarely without cost to the customer. I agree with those who feel this is not the best place to order handbags. Not only are the 'sales' rarely anything truly special, but the shipping is almost always higher than one could find elsewhere. As for their return policy, there might have been a time when it was considered liberal, but not so much these days, when most retailers will offer a similar window. While there are, of course, some retailers who don't accept returns, that is clearly not the norm. I used to buy handbags here frequently, but haven't in some time. For me, it's a matter of feeling Dooney (clearly their preferred brand) has grown stale, their pricing often not being competitive and, of course, shipping costs and policies that are largely unfavorable to the customer.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

It's a good question: perhaps they don't want to cannibalize?

Their "thing" is that the shipping is free.  They even have Dooney Pay. Even though they have a "special relationship," they still have to sell their product through other venues.  They probably sell enough through the Q that they can dictate. Have you ever noticed the flash sales or quickie sales while Dooney is on the Q? Those sales magically disappear after the departure of Dooney for the day. They don't because they don't want to or have to.

Radley bags, for example, aren't cheap, but part of their promotion is to have free shipping.  Other bag lines use that free shipping as part of their marketing through the Q.  If they don't do that, they can't compete.

Esteemed Contributor

@lucky-girl wrote:

I was going to buy one but $11, and change ..   WOW

shame on you.....

@lucky-girl .. check out the dooney dot com website.  Economy shipping is free.  

Respected Contributor

My sister purchased the larger florintine satchel from the dooney web site last week. It was about $100.00 off and had free shipping.I guess you need to check because it's not always free s/h.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure it's the vendor who decides when shipping is free and when it isn't. I suspect QVC has a big say, if not the final word, on that... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Free shipping costs (everyday on every product) from vendor to customer is simply unsustainable.  I think free shipping is a fib. They may offer it on special days or on select items but I still think they build the cost of shipping into the sale price.  That said, I bought a bag last night at a featured price with "free shipping." 

Trusted Contributor

Always check out the Dooney and I Love Dooney websites. Many great bags.   Make sure you check out both as I have found the same bag on each site at  different prices.  Free Shipping on both.