Honored Contributor

Re: Reason why some bags are cheap & some pricey

@meallen616 wrote:

I am a Dooney, Coach, Patricia Nash handbag lady. I also buy inexpensive brands, knowing they will not last too long!

@meallen616    I think the Nash bags aren't nearly the quality of Dooney or Coach.  Her leathers are stiff and don't appear to be the best quality.  The edges if the straps are not nicely finished (rough) as are Dooney's and the hardware is not as nice.  Just look at the difference in price.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

Remember B Makowsky?  A relative of mine passed away in 2017 and I was looking through her closets a week ago.  Dozens of Bruce's bags--all looked perfect even though she carried them daily.  He would talk about the quality, drum-dyed, etc. and I can vouch that they are still gorgeous.

Too heavy for me, though.  Bummer.

Seannie

Respected Contributor

For decades I've been a Dooney lover and I own many.  However, have you seen the quality (or should I say lack of quality) in Dooney bags now?

The zippers are awful.  Some are sewn in crooked and difficult to open/close.  I could go on and on.  I have ordered from Dooney (not ILD) and twice received a defective bag.  I called to see if they had a free return if the bag(s) were defective.  I was told no.  I would have to pay the return $10 fee.

My daughter ordered a large expensive satchel and the leather color looked like it had been rubbed off right on the front of the bag!!  She was going to have to pay for return also.  

Dooney has really changed and gone downhill.  I won't buy another one. So sad!! 

Honored Contributor

I've never had one, too small for me, but, that's surprising.  Shame.

Respected Contributor

@Seannie  I have one B. Makowsky Leather Silver Metalic Shoulder Bag that I kept & bought many years ago.  I agree the quality is top Notch & looks brand new. The bag is so well organized &  the front of the bag has 2 side zippers, front & back mag. large pockets. The problem is the Hardware is so heavy & I very rarely wear it because of the weight but its a beauty.