Super Contributor

Question about Florentine leather

I know it scratches easily. How does it handle water? I have my eye on a Florentine bag but I'm worried that I'm going to have to watch the weather forecast every morning and decide if I'm going to wear the bag that day. Will rain ruin it?
Trusted Contributor

Re: Question about Florentine leather

I have 6 Florentine Dooney bags.  I have never really gotten them wet from rain.  I usually use an umbrella.  As for scratching, you can usually just rub them away with your fingertips.  I love my Florentines.  They're the only Dooney's I purchase.  I don't baby them either.  The leather gets more yummy with each use !  Hope this helps............

Super Contributor

Hmmmm I'm just concerned going into winter that I'll have to be mindful of the bag if it's going to snow or rain.
Honored Contributor

I've gotten caught in a pretty good rain with my Flo bags before and I just wipe the water off and they dry fine. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

I think it depends on the color you choose. I have black and have never have an issue with rain. But I used to have a natural color  Vachetta leather and that one left rain marks all over it and when I dried you could still see it. As far as scratches, they do seem to rub out. But again I have black and it blends in

Respected Contributor

You will get water marks on light colors.

Respected Contributor

Bit by bit, I have focused on collecting the florentine bags, because they are the best. I don't worry about them. You can rub out marks with your fingers, but over time, marks that do remain on, say, a natural florentine bag add up to a lovely patina. I think of those bags as a favorite saddle or riding boots. Do I ride in the rain? Yes. Do I worry? No. I like the look of well-worn leather better than brand-new. I still use an old, thick natural leather bag which I used for a decade when I was a news reporter.  It held camera, film, pads, you-name-it and was carried in rain and snow. Like Dooney florentine bags, it just got better with age and looks great now.