Respected Contributor

This Cara tote is going to be the QVC2 Big Deal tonight.  Saffiano leather in six colors.  I love the pale pink and dandelion colors but the bag has a center zip compartment and that is a drawback for me, plus the handles don't fold down.  I am tempted though.  I would love a colorful bag for spring and summer. 

Dooney & Bourke Saffiano Leather Tote - Cara - A365562

Respected Contributor

Pretty bag!  I use smaller bags, and only with fully close-able tops (zipper preferred!), and that limits my selection.  But I do love the style of the one you posted.  Enjoy it if you get it!

Respected Contributor

Re: QVC2 Dooney Big Deal

[ Edited ]

We've been discussing this on another thread.

This is a pretty bag! 

Pluses:

Slightly lighter weight

Detachable shoulder strap

No water spotting! 

Better organization

Subtel branding on the clsap.  Hate the square Dooney and Bourke nameplate.

Minuses:

Saffiano leather still needs to be handled carefully, because it will develop "bumps" and creases that you cannot get out--unless you heat the bag. It also can become warped if caught in a downpour. (owner of three saffiano bags. Learned lessons the  hard way.) Keep a shaper or cardboard in the bottom.

Price. This is a Q-bag. They are doing a bait-and-switch and once the sale price goes away, this will probably be in the price range of the original Florentine version.  Macy's doing their Friends and Family thing. If a person really likes steel blue, it's $137. Of course, there is the water spotting issue, but the price makes it a daily wear for denim.

Pay attention to the strap. The width of the strap makes all the difference.

They are very pretty though.  Keep in mind that there won;t be as many available since it's a Big Deal. Based on that, it's likley there will be sellouts in some colors.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm out.

Saffiano, center compartment and handles that do not fold down. All deal breakers before I even see the price.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva.  I agree.  Saffiano is a total turn-off for me.  Looks just like cheap vinyl.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

I'm out.

Saffiano, center compartment and handles that do not fold down. All deal breakers before I even see the price.

I think it is a pretty bag but have decided to pass.  The center zip compartment is the deal breaker for me.  Total waste of interior space in a handbag if you ask me.  I could live with the handles but prefer them to fold down. 

Honored Contributor

As summer approaches and the world becomes more casual, I wish they'd do a coated canvas summer bag.  It's been a long time since they've done one.  I had to go on the bay and hunt down a paint splatter one that I admired but let get by me.

To me it's not just color that sets the tone for a summer bag, it's also the material.  Unless leather is woven, I tend to not use it in the summer.

I much prefer coated canvas/cotton to nylon.  As much as they say you can just "wipe your Italian nylon clean", you cannot.  It stains.  Sorry-- truth.

Respected Contributor

I saw that a cpl if days ago. I Like the bag but I avoid saffiano, because it feels like plastic.

Respected Contributor

Re: QVC2 Dooney Big Deal

[ Edited ]

They're always a little behind with the bags. They used to do a bag in February for spring and then do a nice bag for Mother's Day. I think this Cara is not geared towards summer, but a nice Mother's Day gift. People are more likely to splash out that occasion.

They did have a few Trixie's. I sold off my coated cotton/canvas satchel. Thought it looked like a cheap knockoff, because of the handles.

The nylon is pretty hard to clean--whatever color. Not impervious to snags either. The cat took one look at my logo lock hobo and scratched it. It snagged just enough to leave a blemish. Right on the front, too.