Respected Contributor

Re: Popularity of Nylon/Fabric Handbags

@september wrote:

Just curious..at approximately what age does one become part of the older crowd who finds a leather bag too heavy?

I’m wondering if I should start transitioning?Smiley Very Happy

For me, it was a diagnosis of breast cancer and after having lymph nodes removed I was told not to carry a heavy handbag anymore or risk getting lymphedema.

Honored Contributor

Re: Popularity of Nylon/Fabric Handbags

I'm not trying to be snarky but my days of buying $50 bags are over.    Wasted too much money over the years for broken straps & such, plus they look awful after a few months.

I'd rather spend $250 on 1 good bag, then have 5 $50 bags.

I live near a Coach outlet.   When they have a sale, they practically give bags away.

@wilma wrote:

@software wrote:

Since I'm retired, I don't carry a bag every day.   But my big Coach leather bag is my workhorse.

Do you find the nylon bags last?   I'm hard on bags & shoes and the only nylon crossbody I purchased, looked like it belonged in Goodwill after about a year.   And I didn't use it every day.

I do admit I look at the nylon bags when shopping, but I always put it back.  But you are correct, there are some very nice nylon bags out there.  I have been tempted.

@software 

I was very disappointed in the nylon bag I purchased. The strap broke after just a couple months of use. I don’t remember the brand but spent $50 on it. Loved the lightweight feel and all the compartments. I downsized what I carried in my purse when I retired so the bag was not weighed down. I have never had a leather or faux leather strap break in my life, and those bags were definitely weighed down because I carried lots more then. Anyway, no more nylon bags for me.