Honored Contributor

Re: Popularity of Nylon/Fabric Handbags

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have to carry bags of lighter material because of shoulder problems.  I love my leather bags but once they are loaded up, just too much for me to handle.  So, I have to content myself with other ones.  

I was carrying a fabric, red bandana print one a few weeks ago and I got so many compliments on it.  I don't think carrying nylon/fabric bags is necessarily an age thing.  It's a preference thing, but comfort is important, too.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Frequent Contributor

I pretty much gave up leather bags while living in NYC because I had to carry so much stuff in my bags that they were too heavy and cumbersome. I switched to LeSportsac bags which could easily be switched from shoulder to crossbody (merely extend the one strap), offering me the security I wanted when my hands were full carrying shopping bags. Now that I'm leaving the city I may start carrying my leather bags again since I no longer will need to carry all that stuff.

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

I just bought the Kipling Violetta in black from Q. It’s an upscale Kipling satchel. Nylon with patent trim and gold hardware. Light interior, lots of outer pockets and typical awesome Kipling organization. High quality And it’s on sale!! I totally LOVE it!! 

@Skyegirl21 and all: Very nice looking black handbag with gold hardware!

Honored Contributor

Nylon handbags are my favorites and I have MZ Wallace, Baggallini and Lug. Dooney & Bourke has nice Italian nylon, and I do like Kipling as well.

For me, the nylon handbags fit in to my more casual lifestyle. Yet some fancier nylon styles can definitely be carried for dress up. I like their lightweight aspect, organization and style.

I think leather handbags still have a place in one's handbag wardrobe, but I don't reach for them very often anymore. I have either sold or donated all of the larger leather bags I used to carry, which were just too bulky looking for my petite frame. I have only kept six medium-sized Dooney & Bourke leather handbags.

Here are some of my favorite MZ Wallace styles: Message 24 in the favorite line of handbags thread. Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA 

I made the “mistake” of buying a Lug bag in June and haven’t used a single one of my good (and expensive) leather bags since! This small, lightweight bag holds everything my large and heavy leather bags do with compartments to spare! It isn’t pretty like my leather bags but it shines in every other way.

I’ve always purchased both fabric and leather bags and make sure to carry non-leather ones when it is rainy. But the organization of this Lug appears to be a dealbreaker for me. I’ve always avoided very heavy bags simply because they aren’t practical. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd also note that not all leather bags are heavy. If one is committed to sticking to 'name' brands like Dooney, then yes, they tend to be heavy, but there are brands out there, often less costly, that use leather that's thinner and not so weighty... No, perhaps they don't last as long, but that's not a problem for me, as I have too many bags and have yet to actually 'wear one out'... Added to that, there are some 'nicer' leather brands offered that I'm told also don't produce bags that are inordinately heavy... I don't own any, but understand that Radley bags are relatively lighter in weight than are some of the other name brands...

The other gripe I have with nylon (and even some canvas) bags is some brands price them as if they were leather... I'm sorry, but nylon is a relatively inexpensive fabric and when I see these bags listed for hundreds of dollars, even when they might have some leather trim, I just shake my head... As noted though, something for everyone and we all can decide individually what we prefer...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@willdob3 

My first LUG was the Boomerang II ... I wish I had bought a couple of colors!

Everything has it's own little pocket.  It "fits" so nicely when worn corss-body.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@willdob3 

My first LUG was the Boomerang II ... I wish I had bought a couple of colors!

Everything has it's own little pocket.  It "fits" so nicely when worn corss-body.

@ALRATIBA 

Mine is the Scoop. It even has pockets I haven’t used yet! I was sure I’d never use the little handle on it but I use it every single day!

I confess that I did a search to see if they have leather bags and came up empty. lol 

Respected Contributor

@EdithEllenLily , Thanks for the link. MZ Wallace are gorgeous, but they are way out of budget for me... This Kipling is a very good 2nd to those!

Frequent Contributor

I've gone to mostly Lug or Vera Bradley bags for 3 reasons. 1. Lightweight and usually smaller 2. Price is reasonable 3. Most important to me: they are Vegan. I'm an animal lover.