Respected Contributor

Phases of purse ownership

[ Edited ]

1. I need a huge tote-room for everything in there that I could possibly need. Every contingency covered. What if someone has a heart attack and I want to help? Definitely need room for a box of vinyl gloves. Plus enough makeup for a full face redo if necessary. And a change of clothes. You never know. 
2.That tote was waaay too cumbersome. What was I thinking. Scaling down to absolute bare minimum.  No purse, just a tiny keychain wallet to stick in my pocket. ID and credit card. That's it. 
3.  Haha! That mini cardholder was useless. Had to stuff my phone and lipstick in my other pocket. Sunglasses in my waistband. Needed a tissue, had to pull one out of my bra. Not a good look. 
4. Ok maybe a mini crossbody. Yeah that's it. Phone, lipstick, tissues, cards. I'll just carry my water bottle in my other hand. No problem. Well maybe a tiny one- my car key fob won't fit in there. Unless I take out my phone. No! That's stupid. I will simply sqeeeze both of them in there. Oh great now my car alarm 🚨 is going off. 
5. Oh oh oh! Must have designer bag! A Dooney or Patricia Nash, maybe. So chic. Everything I need fits inside.  Welp. Now the dam purse weighs sixteen pounds. 
6. Eureka 🥳, I've discovered Lug bags! Lightweight, pretty colors and prints. And super duper organized. Like, so organized that I can't find my eyeglasses cleaning cloth. I know it's here. Was there actually a dedicated pocket for it? Where the heck...oh maybe under that secret flap- nope that's my burner phone in case I get involved in a bank heist....

...and repeat. 😁

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

Re: Phases of purse ownership

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the laugh. I think we all go through this periodically. Every time I see a Lug bag and see all those compartments I always think I would never remember which pocket a put the item in.

Respected Contributor

@Janey2  I alternate between organizer bags and big dark-hole hobos where I have to dump everything out to find what I'm looking for 😅

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother  I usually carry a " dark hole bag."  I put a very small pouch inside so I can get to keys and important stuff without a problem. Too many compartments make finding things impossible for me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did kinda the same thing with men.

Still looking!!!

Like the porridge of the Three Bear Fame...I need the one that's "just right"!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Othereeeen 😂🤣😅

@Othereeeen wrote:

Still looking!!!

Like the porridge of the Three Bear Fame...I need the one that's "just right"!!!!

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

Still looking!!!

@Othereeeen 

I've been looking for that one for sixty years!

Purse that is, not man.  😉

Honored Contributor

Lol.

"Large" has followed me throughout my life. 

As a teenager I insisted on "large" Coach handbags, then graduated to a few other brands, also large. 

Then, I settled on a large black slouchy shoulder strap that I liked so much, I purchased 3 more of the same style and brand because I was afraid the manufacturer would stop making them.  Guess what?  They are still making this handbag. 

The only problem, the first one just wouldn't wear out.  15 years later, 5 days a week use, a few polishes, it was still looking new.  How could that be?  Still using it now that I'm no longer working.  I probably will be leaving behind a few new handbags.  

I never carry much, but large is handy for my large wallet, the usual stuff, small packages, and most of all, one of my dogs.  

If I begin to shrink as I get older, someone will be able to carry me in it.  

Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother -

lol!😂 

So funny! and so true!

Did you make this up? If you did you should publish it.

I have gone thru every single thing you said haha! I'm glad its not just me. How did you know lol?!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother  All so true, right now I am in the big bag phase but I also long for the small cross body stage.