Patent Leather Dooney's Require Special Handling

Love all my Dooneys but just found out my white patent bag is ruined.  Still has the tags.  Pulled it out for a special occasion to find black and brown stains that can't be removed.  Dooney's website says not to store with other purses as the stains can transfer onto the patent leather.  That means the handles have to be removed before storing the bag in a pouch.  Please QVC ask Dooney to add that tip in the packaging and ask sales people to tell us how to protect our bags.

Honored Contributor

Re: Patent Leather Dooney's Require Special Handling

@pavalenti.

Very good post. Thank you! 

Group Membership Quotes

Respected Contributor

I would contact Dooney, if the handles that came on the bag did that it seems like its the companies fault not yours.  Maybe they can fix it somehow, doesn't seem fair.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pavalenti 

As a long time Dooney buyer, that color transfer likely came from other bags it was stored next to, not it's own handles.

You don't have to remove Dooney's handles before storing, even patent leather.

One tip from experience that I would offer is also not to use the navy 'sleep sacks' that comes with them, the blue dye can transfer.

I use king size white pillow cases, cost doesn't matter, but I prefer the zip up, that way when stored on a shelf, I can just unzip it a little bit to see which bag is in there, LOL!

ETA: And don't forget that Dooney has an excellent warranty and CS, you probably are not 'stuck'' with this bag, call them, you have nothing to lose!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@pavalenti 

As a long time Dooney buyer, that color transfer likely came from other bags it was stored next to, not it's own handles.

You don't have to remove Dooney's handles before storing, even patent leather.

One tip from experience that I would offer is also not to use the navy 'sleep sacks' that comes with them, the blue dye can transfer.

I use king size white pillow cases, cost doesn't matter, but I prefer the zip up, that way when stored on a shelf, I can just unzip it a little bit to see which bag is in there, LOL!

ETA: And don't forget that Dooney has an excellent warranty and CS, you probably are not 'stuck'' with this bag, call them, you have nothing to lose!

I also store mine in white zipper pillow cases. I put a little tag on the zipper with what is in there so I don't have to open the zipper to see what is in there.

Honored Contributor

Oh boy, yes, patent leather can be a trial.  That goes for bags such as Louis Vuitton, who had a line called Vernis, a patent leather whose lighter colors could be ruined on the ride home from buying it!!.

These bags will absorb stains from mostly anything, including the blue jeans you love to wear.  Also cheaper vinyl bags in light colors will also absorb colors, doesn't have to be a high-end name.  Calling the company and complaining might do some good but frankly I doubt it.  These type of bags have been around for so long the companies selling them  feel everyone should understand their limitations.

I had a cheap vinyl bag that was ruined almost immediately.  THAT was my first and last foray into patent leather or the vinyl imitations.  Good luck. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

That's true of all white and bone handbags.  You never store them with other handbags. I doubt that you have to take the handles off.  That makes no sense but you would store any white or bone bag alone in the light colored dust bag it came in or in a pillow case.  This is how my mom and my Nana stored their summer bags.