Honored Contributor

Re: Parting with all my Handbags

@puttypiesmomwrote:

I recently bought 5 Florentine Dooney and Bourke purses from their website because I had read that they were much lighter. Well, I just love them although never thought I would do what I did.  They are beautiful....the Leanna in 3 colors and the Small Libby and the large Cameron and they don't hurt my shoulder, they are just the perfect weight.  Thought I was done with Dooneys completely. Eventually, I'll have to think about what to do with the others I own and not just Dooneys.  I understand now why I don't use the others because I really love my 5 new Dooneys and use them all the time.  Perfect size for me and light weight.  

Are you referring to the Florentine Toscana line?  Because the regular Florentine line is known to be quite heavy.

Honored Contributor

@1Professorwrote:

@EdithEllenLilywrote:

I had more than 70 Dooneys and now I have 16!! Woman Surprised I prefer lightweight handbags now, too -- Kipling and MZ Wallace are my favorites!

@EdithEllenLily: Ah, but when I want to go lightweight, I go with Louis Vuitton coated canvas. Light. Elegant. Makes me smile.

(I do have adorable Kipling roller bags, complete with various monkeys, at the university, for bringing my piles of Stuff to classes!)

@1Professor I remember two of your delightful LV treasures! Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

@faeriemoonwrote:

@puttypiesmomwrote:

I recently bought 5 Florentine Dooney and Bourke purses from their website because I had read that they were much lighter. Well, I just love them although never thought I would do what I did.  They are beautiful....the Leanna in 3 colors and the Small Libby and the large Cameron and they don't hurt my shoulder, they are just the perfect weight.  Thought I was done with Dooneys completely. Eventually, I'll have to think about what to do with the others I own and not just Dooneys.  I understand now why I don't use the others because I really love my 5 new Dooneys and use them all the time.  Perfect size for me and light weight.  

Are you referring to the Florentine Toscana line?  Because the regular Florentine line is known to be quite heavy.

No. I never cared for the Toscana line.  The newer Florentine bags are lighter weight. Some customers said oh, these are not like my Florentine from 2012 and inferior because they weighed less but I love them for that very reason.  I owned a Florentine tassle satchel from the original showing but returned it due to being too heavy.  I did keep a zipper east west satchel from that year.  Also, they smell better now...not so pungent yet that too was mentioned by some as a negative.  Can't please everyone I guess. 

Honored Contributor

I am retired and also have many handbags.  I change my handbag 2 to 3 times week (if not more).  

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden~
I’m in the same situation. I think I have even more than you! A couple still with the tags on. Then I have some collectibles from Vera Bradley’s Anniversary & some Mary Francis Bags. Those I plan on using on a wall in my sons old room over the bed possibly as artwork.
The others will go to my daughter & DIL first, if they want them. The rest will also be donated to either Dress for Success or a Church In our state capital that has a lot of low income & Medicaid women, some homeless that sleep in the train station! . The church there helps these women find housing, and learn a trade. They also help them with a makeover & skills for interviews.
Some women will sell on Ebay or, FB. But, as you mentioned, it’s better for the deduction. Plus, if donated ~ your paying it forward.
Good for you!!! Enjoy your retirement!