Honored Contributor

Re: Parting with all my Handbags

I have one bag style that is my perfect everyday carry bag. I have that bag in 5 colors - black for winter, yellow for summer , tan for fall, red for Christmas season and blue just because I liked it. All my other bags are various sizes and colors for dressier wear - and 2 wallet on a string crossbody for going somewhere I'll have to walk a lot. I have kept a couple very old bags for sentimental value - those are like 45 - 50 years old and I don't really wear them. They are just for sentiment.

I remember when my Mom had one purse for winter (always black) and one for summer (always white or bone). She did just fine with those two purses.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you!  I need to start looking around after the 1st of the year. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I enjoyed reading all your posts... thankyou for sharing!  I really have changed a lot in the 5 years I have been retired. I just want less... and things that seemed so important to me no longer are.  I am going very simple as I go into my 60's.  I like less... making  less choices... just have  my favorite  things.

I sold all my many gold pieces that I purchased 15- 20 years ago, and just kept the few I knew I would wear. It feels freeing not having to worry about all the gold jewelry I had in the house....   and the money I made was nice too! 

Some of you mentioned keeping some of  the bags I bought and never used... Most of them just are not  "me" anymore... big heavy bags... and to sell them is just not something I want to get involved with.  Donation is easy, gives me back something as a tax write off  and lets someone else find a great purse and make their day Smiley Happy.   I know how much fun it is to go thrift store shopping and find that great treasure!

Your comment, they are just not me anymore sure rang a bell with me.  At the time I bought them I thought I loved them but no more.  All those heavy structured Dooneys are all ready to go to donation along with "mistakes" .  Keeping many that I pull out now and then to use and they feel like new to me.  I am also retired and still love handbags but taste and needs change so off they go and feel great about it.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

20 years worth.... at least 40 hand bags....many unused with tags still on them.  Oh but I just had to have them at the time!  Lol!  

I am retired now, just need one or two hand bags.   So I will donate them...get a nice tax write off...and some one will enjoy them.  

Next I am attacking my shoe closet!

I'm newly retired (2 years) and wouldn't dream of getting rid of all of my designer bags! Why? Sure I'm retired but I'm rocking it! Beautiful handbags and all! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Since they still have tags on them, it sounds like you are doing the right thing for you. I donated or sold most of my large heavy bags, because I was tired of carrying all that stuff around. I carry a crossbody bag almost every day now. I have a few of them in different colors, but carry the black crossbody more than the others. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

New or used, I'd be willing to part with about three quarters of mine, especially if I could get my investment back, but regardless, I'd definitely be keeping more than two...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

SeaMaiden, don't get to discarding, times could get tight and you may not be able to make alot of purchases as time goes on. Retirement can get crazy, I know first hand. Just a thought.

Respected Contributor

I didn't start collecting  handbags until I retired! After carrying a briefcase every day, I loved the idea of playing with a different bag every day. 

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

20 years worth.... at least 40 hand bags....many unused with tags still on them.  Oh but I just had to have them at the time!  Lol!  

I am retired now, just need one or two hand bags.   So I will donate them...get a nice tax write off...and some one will enjoy them.  

Next I am attacking my shoe closet!

I'm newly retired (2 years) and wouldn't dream of getting rid of all of my designer bags! Why? Sure I'm retired but I'm rocking it! Beautiful handbags and all! 

@ID2  I own a lot of bags, but some weren’t in rotation because I got lazy or in a rush in the morning to change over wallet, keys, mu case, glasses, etc. What changed my life and bags’ lives? They sell (at Q & elsewhere) those bag organizers that hold all your stuff w/ a handle on top. When ready to switch bags, grab the handle, lift out your stuff all at once and into the other bag. Ready to go in a minute.

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden..noooooooooooooooo, dont do it....covet your beautiful bags. 

IF you really want to, I will be your charity..lol