Honored Contributor

Re: Parting with all my Handbags

I wouldn't get rid of them. Hang them up in your closet and , instead of shopping for handbags at a store, shop your closet.It will save you a lot of money!

Honored Contributor

I have tried to purge my handbags since I retired. So far it has not worked. I still like the ones I have. Also, they are all still in good shape. The leather has held up well. And they are all different styles and colors. Something to go with every whim. 

So maybe take it slow. You never know when you will be ready for a change of pace.

PS - but when you do decide to get rid of them, please tell us where you are going to donate them.Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I'm retired too but won't get rid of things until we downsize or forced to. What I don't need is more furniture, dishes, pots and pans. I'm slowly getting rid of work shoes and heels since Vionic are better for my feet.

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@SeaMaiden

I don't understand why u still have handbags u never used? I have lots of purses as well -- lots of shoes, lots of tops, etc. I've worn every pair of shoes many times - and have also used all my purses. I've been retired for 14 yrs - so I don't need so much stuff - but I enjoy each and every thing I own. I could never part with them. I get attached.

It's impulse buying.  Some shoppers get all caught up in the presentations and they watch multiple times throughout the day and they can afford the item, so they buy it.  I suppose you could think of it as crowd mentality.  Everyone else is buying it, I will too.  

Honored Contributor

When I retired, I got rid of the evidence of my life time handbag addiction.  I donated bags that cost me more than $1000, along with Dooney’s, Coach, etc.

I have never regretted that decision.  I use the same two or three handbags all year around.  I still have a few bags that I should have gotten rid of, but because of the expense of them,  I just couldn’t.  They are still sitting there and taking up space.  

Honored Contributor

Some people do that with shoes, or other things.

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed reading all your posts... thankyou for sharing!  I really have changed a lot in the 5 years I have been retired. I just want less... and things that seemed so important to me no longer are.  I am going very simple as I go into my 60's.  I like less... making  less choices... just have  my favorite  things.

I sold all my many gold pieces that I purchased 15- 20 years ago, and just kept the few I knew I would wear. It feels freeing not having to worry about all the gold jewelry I had in the house....   and the money I made was nice too! 

Some of you mentioned keeping some of  the bags I bought and never used... Most of them just are not  "me" anymore... big heavy bags... and to sell them is just not something I want to get involved with.  Donation is easy, gives me back something as a tax write off  and lets someone else find a great purse and make their day Smiley Happy.   I know how much fun it is to go thrift store shopping and find that great treasure!

Honored Contributor

I got over my expensive handbag phase many years ago (back when an expensive handbag didn't cost nearly as much as it does now!!).

Everyone is different, but I carry a bag for function only. I almost never go anywhere that I need a bag to 'match' anything I'm wearing. 

I now have only 4 bags, and really only use two of them (one for summer the other for winter), and a third is more my 'dress' bag for when I'm going somewhere that I dress up a bit more than normal. 

I am hard on a purse, and very fussy about just the right size, just the right pockets etc. I found a few that fit my needs perfectly and let go of everything else. 

Don't miss them, enjoy the lack of clutter in the closet, and have never looked back. When I go to TJ Maxx I look at the purses and handbags, but am never tempted. 

Occasional Contributor

Hello, If you don't mind sharing, how or where did you sell your gold jewlry? I have pieces that I don't wear anymore that are just collecting dust. I would love to sell them, but don't know where to start. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I sold all my many gold pieces that I purchased 15- 20 years ago, and just kept the few I knew I would wear. It feels freeing not having to worry about all the gold jewelry I had in the house....   and the money I made was nice too! 

Honored Contributor

@alucky13   Do you live in Washington State?  I went to Bellevue Rare Coins here where I live.  They are a upscale pawn shop.... not like the ones you  picture in your mind.... They pretty much buy anything in precious stones, jewelry, coins etc.   The atmosphere is very relaxed and comfortable, nice.  

The first batch of gold jewely  I sold in 2013.  I received $15,000. Nice check!  Two months ago I returned and sold some more of my gold and a lot of my silver. I made another $2,500 dollars.  Just things sitting around  I no longer wore. 

You need only to do some googling and find a place that buys gold in any form.....  Ask around.... read reviews.