Honored Contributor

Parting with all my Handbags

20 years worth.... at least 40 hand bags....many unused with tags still on them.  Oh but I just had to have them at the time!  Lol!  

I am retired now, just need one or two hand bags.   So I will donate them...get a nice tax write off...and some one will enjoy them.  

Next I am attacking my shoe closet!

Honored Contributor

Re: Parting with all my Handbags

Assuming you expect to live longer than a year, I think you should keep more than just 2 bags.  Most bags are classic, they don't go out of style.  Keep 4 or 5 of the ones you never carried and donate the rest.  Different colors, different style.  You are retired but you're still going to go places and do things.

Contributor

I am with you...however, I did breakdown and pick up 3 in the past months....it is an addiction......I am almost retired....and eyeing up all of those pocketbooks....why why why???  LOL  None of mine have tags still on.  And, some of them, my dog decided he wanted to check for candy in them....ate through the pockets.  I swore that the last one I purchased will be my last one......for now anyway.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would rethink this decision. Now, you have the time to use them for the things you would like to do. Being retired IMO doesn't mean you won't need them per se. You can still enjoy them.

I would take the tags off and make sure I enjoy each and every bag. Each one represents a period of time of what you liked and maybe who you were. They are an investment that brought you joy in an individual way.

So, I would have fun planning the maiden voyage of every new bag and the new adventures of the old. They are paid for and ready to go. Bought new, they would cost much more. 

I plan to enjoy everything I have while I can!

~Live with Intention~
Frequent Contributor

Hello:

I am a couple of years out from retirement so understand the need to simplify.  In my community, there is a local swap meet via facebook where I have sold a few of my Dooneys for $50 each.  Obviously, I paid more for them as new bags, but selling them one by one this way does reap a bit of cash and makes the next woman happy as Dooneys look like new even when gently used.  Perhaps you could consider selecting a few and finding a way to earn a bit of cash with your bags--just a thought.  Whatever you decide, happy retirement!

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I don't understand why u still have handbags u never used? I have lots of purses as well -- lots of shoes, lots of tops, etc. I've worn every pair of shoes many times - and have also used all my purses. I've been retired for 14 yrs - so I don't need so much stuff - but I enjoy each and every thing I own. I could never part with them. I get attached.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Better pace yourself in getting rid of handbags.  You're still going to need something in which to carry all of your money, not to mention all of your other stuff.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

A couple of years after I retired, I did the same thing and haven't regretted it one iota.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess that I am just the opposite.....I used the same few handbage while I worked because the office was so dusty at times and I was too busy to look through them and decide on a different one...

Now that I am retired....I change up my handbags for the occasion or use a different one each week

Honored Contributor

I've never had the addiction for handbags.  I get along fine with the 3 crossbodies I have. If you haven't used them in years, get rid of them.