Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pamela Anderson launches a new line of Vegan handbags

@stevieb   Agreed!  I'm off to the Matt and Nat website now; thanks for alerting me to them!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Speaking of Matt and Nat, the cream color bag below is an appleskin satchel and is beautiful but comes in, price wise, close to Pam's line, at $285. Personally, I wouldn't go there. On the other hand, the red bag below is part of Matt and Nat's regular vegan line and is on sale for $135. It's also a better size for me. I'd be tempted. That said, even at $135 this seems a bit pricey for non-leather. It's all a matter of our individual choices, preferences and priorities.

FW21-Vintage-Kintla-Barn-1_2974bba8-550d-4215-a629-159cf7a04694_600x.jpg

SS22-Studio901-Silva-organic-1_cec0f01d-abfc-4ce3-b900-3639a9a89c08_600x.jpg

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Not sure my observation is an accurate one or perhaps based on limited exposure, but one thing I seem to have noticed about vegan bags is the relative absence of may true colors. I don't know, for example. that I've ever seen a true clear pretty blue vegan bag. Rather, the colors often seem to be a bit muddled.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Nope. For $300 I would rather have a nice leather bag. Not something made out of fruit.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not a fan of any celebrity designed or endorsed brands. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you @faeriemoon  for bringing this to my attention!

I'm forever searching for cruelty free bags and this will be another option to look into.

I agree about not wanting to use ones made from worse materials although there are eco friendly polyethelyne type materials (ones made from recycled plastics) also.

Cork has been an option, also.  One favorite I had by Queork is what I carried all last summer.  Unfortunately, they closed down because of the pandemic.  Plus they also offered handbags with leather straps which disappointed me when I realized that on their website.

And for most of the winter I've carried a Calvin Klein silver foil snake skin looking leather bag that I've had for almost 15 years.  The compliments I get are almost daily, which breaks my heart because I'm only 'using it up' from my leather wearing days.

I will only buy cruelty free handbags now.  And with that, I've been very limited.  To the point of 'using up' the last of my leather ones.  Many of which I donated already.

I couldn't find a site for Pamela's bags and the one pictured--I can tell already the strap drop isn't long enough for me, I want something for over my shoulder.  But I will now keep watching out for them.  

Absolutely I would buy something a celebrity endorses and she is one who walks the walk as far as animal welfare.

Honored Contributor

The price was equal to a leather bag.  Don't think so!

Honored Contributor

I thought the reason for purchasing something that is faux is the lower price.  This bag is $300.00?  How durable is it?

Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

I thought the reason for purchasing something that is faux is the lower price.  This bag is $300.00?  How durable is it?

No, that hasn't been the norm. 

I don't understand the reasoning that if something isn't leather, suede, calfskin, lambskin, etc. --that it should be cheaper.

I would pay more for something to be alternative to animal hides.

But, I am very picky in styles.  I don't want logos all over, I dont' want scratchy zippers (Stella McC!)  for entryways and I don't care for a designer who does vegan leather and real leather. 

It's all or nothing for me.  ( I have a hard time with choosing automobiles--leatherette, but piped in leather--no  thank you!).

It's all about choice.  I'm so glad that there are options now.  And not cheap, cheese-y looking options.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

No, that hasn't been the norm. 

I don't understand the reasoning that if something isn't leather, suede, calfskin, lambskin, etc. --that it should be cheaper.

I would pay more for something to be alternative to animal hides.

But, I am very picky in styles.  I don't want logos all over, I dont' want scratchy zippers (Stella McC!)  for entryways and I don't care for a designer who does vegan leather and real leather. 

It's all or nothing for me.  ( I have a hard time with choosing automobiles--leatherette, but piped in leather--no  thank you!).

It's all about choice.  I'm so glad that there are options now.  And not cheap, cheese-y looking options.

My question is how durable is it?  People buy leather because they last.  I am just hoping for 300.00 it should be as durable.  I am not a big leather fan because they are usually heavy.  I  am just curious how this material is.