Honored Contributor

Is ostrich embossed passe?  I have seen a very pretty domed black ostrich-embossed satchel at Dillard's that I thought about buying but is ostrich passe and if so, what is the reason? The reason is what concerns me.

Esteemed Contributor

I thought ostrich was an all time "expensive" classic! 

Hope they never cheapen it and make it a trend!

Respected Contributor

If you like it, get it.  Who cares what anyone else thinks about it.  You will be the one carrying it.

Respected Contributor

Dooney still has them for sale on their website, and not clearance either, so for them, they are not passe.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Embossed leather,  like ostrich and croco, are classics.  They get extra fashion focus every few years,  especially in the fall and winter,  when 'texture' seems to capture the fashion looks.

If you want an embossed leather handbag like ostrich to look like it might be the real thing ( a high end luxury item),  then stick to black,  brown, or cognac colors.  They are the most realistic looking.

On the other hand,  if you just love the look of ostrich and croco leathers,  then go for it in any color that pleases you.   That's what I do.   I have a large collection of Dooney ostrich embossed handbags.... black, cognac, pink, bone, orange, red, and 'jeans'.   The black and bone are my favorites.  I've had the black ostrich one for many years, and it gets softer and softer all the time.    The other advantage of black is that if over time the color wears a little on the corner of the handbag,  it's easy to 'fix' with a permanent marker.

Valued Contributor

I think Ostrich is always a classic.  Right now it isn't on trend but I don't think of it as out of date.  I've been carrying a brahmin bone ostrich embossed bag on and off this summer. 

libby's folly
Respected Contributor

I hope not!  I purchased an ostrich embossed Dooney from ilovedooney.com a couple of months ago.  I have three and love them. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you, each and everyone.  You have convinced me to buy that D&B at Dillard's that is about one-third off and what I have been awaiting.  Thanks a million. Ka ching to my credit card.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ostrich handbags

[ Edited ]

No, they're not dated. Even if they were, I like what I like and I like ostrich embossing. Our own preferences are pretty much what mattters.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I bought one about a month ago.  There's a thread with a picture somewhere.  I love the look, so I wouldn't (and don't) care if it's in or out of style.