Honored Contributor

Re: Once you go crossbody you can't go back

If I still had my own car I could carry less in my purse. However, DH & I share a car and when I leave something in the car instead of carrying it in my purse he inevitably throws it away,so I have to keep everything in my purse.

Regular Contributor

Heart Love my crossbodies, too.  I am age 69 and so over the years I have gone from the big bag where everything and then some is inside to over the last few years, I have pared down to what I throw in my bag, including getting away from the oversize wallets and going to the smaller, skinnier wallets.  I have slowly been selling my leather bags on eBay, just keeping a couple of them. My favorite style bag is the crossbody with the adjustable strap and mostly I own the lightweight ones, like the Dooney nylon, the Baggalini brand and Kipling.  I am loving these light weight bags I can wear either on my shoulder (due to the adustable strap) or wear it cross body.  

Respected Contributor

@151949wrote:

If I still had my own car I could carry less in my purse. However, DH & I share a car and when I leave something in the car instead of carrying it in my purse he inevitably throws it away,so I have to keep everything in my purse.

Tell him not to throw things away until he checks with you first.  Or have you and he does it anyway?

Honored Contributor

@cotton4mewrote:

I also love crossbody handbags.   I wish they would make them in larger sizes.  Most are overwhelming small.  I don’t know why handbag manufacturers don’t realize that people who carry crossbody like all different sizes just as any other handbag style.  In fact, the larger the bag the more healthy it is to carry the weight crossbody.

@cotton4me  I had the same problem, but check Zappos. There are many larger crossbody bags.

Honored Contributor

I purchased a fairly large (10X10) Tumi nylon crossbody tonite...lightweight, strap adjustable to shoulder length as well...many zippered pockets for extras. Have been looking forever for a crossbody lg. enough to hold all my stuff.

Valued Contributor

I love the crossbody style.  I like a very long strap, I'm 5'8" and I like the opening to hit right at my wrist.

My current bag has a textured underside on the strap, so it grips my clothing, and the strap doesn't ride up to my neck.  The long strap ensures my bag doesn't fall forward when I bend over.

Crossbody bags are made in a variety of sizes.  I find them to be the most comfortable and useful of handbags.  

Contributor

I too since I've gotten older hate to carry a large bag.  I have many D&B bags and do not carry a one of them.  They are all in the closet.  I ordered the small Radley cross body for just cards and a phone and liked it so much I ordered the larger one.  It has interior pockets and will hold glasses, Advil, credit cards and more.  I like the flat lodis RFD card holders and find them handy.  You could put a smaller tablet in this purse, but would be heavy.  Try it.

Honored Contributor

I always carried a medium to large shoulder bag, but a year ago I decided to switch to a crossbody style. My shoulder and arm was getting tired and sore carrying such a heavy bag loaded with stuff. I always had a crossbody for travel and shopping, but I never carried it daily. I am getting used to carrying less stuff. I have donated or sold all my large shoulder bags except 2, and I haven’t carried those in a year so I may get rid of those soon. Now I have several crossbody bags in various colors and styles. 

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbagswrote:

@faeriemoonwrote:

@steviebwrote:

I can honestly say I've never had that experience...

Crossbodies are not for me... I need more room than most of them offer and I don't like the sensation of having that bag cutting across me... Those with which I experimented are almost never used...

Agree.  Crossbodies only work when you are a minimalist.  If you carry a lot of stuff they are not comfortable at all.  They kill my neck.  Hate them.

@faeriemoon@stevieb

Have to say I agree with both of you.  First of all, I just can't make it with only a wallet and a few tissues.  Every time I try to pare down what I carry, I find myself needing something I left at home.  Heck, just my prescription sunglasses in their case and my regular glasses take up quite a bit of room.   I don't like the constriction of a strap across my body, and I get an achy neck after just a few minutes.  But put put a bag (loaded up) on either of my shoulders, and I don't even feel it.  Go figure.

@shoesnbags I don't carry nearly what I used to, but agree, if all I needed was a little cash, a card, a phone and a lipstick... then I wouldn't need a purse at all... And I agree about the way they stress the neck...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@birdQ13wrote:
I favor my crossbodies. Got a new Lug for this spring which should work for casual days. Wish D & B would offer better crossbody choices. The strap needs to be bigger/wider than most other types of bags & forget adding handles.

D&B crossbody straps are always too long on me, and many of them can't have holes added due to the placement of stitching, etc. I have far better luck with Cole Haan for leather, and I own a few Kiplings for casual wear/travel.