Honored Contributor

Once you go crossbody you can't go back

Little did I know what a can of worms I was opening up when I pulled out a new B Makowsky crossbody bag last fall.  It was a few years old, from back when Bruce was still presenting bags.  For my entire purse carrying life of 50 years, I've always used shoulder bags. How handy is this crossbody, I marveled every day.  I could use two hands to dig out the debit card or cash.  I wasn't worried about things falling out.  I didn't have to leave the bag in the shopping cart when I was reaching for something.  Now the olive leather is stained with coffee, so I dug out a favorite Ghurka hobo bag and it's just not working out.  I vowed when DH retired I was through spending big bucks on bags, so I'm reduced to searching for good leather bags on Ebay. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Once you go crossbody you can't go back

I agree that they are wonderful and I use them often but I do go back and forth because I love all my handbags... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I love crossbody bags too. Structured satchel bags are my biggest love-sometimes you can find them with crossbody straps. That's the holy grail.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

I never travel without a crossbody bag.  I like the convenience and the protection that it gives me from theft.  I also find that I seem to be able to do without a lot of things that I normally would put in my regular bag.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I have trimmed down what I carry in my purse to the barest amount of stuff I want with me. And it does not fit in one of those tiny crossbody bags. I do own 2 VB triple zip bags which are larger crossbody bags I'm not a big fan of purses that are taller instead of wider because everything falls to the bottom and you have to dig around for your stuff. However, they do get used occasionally.

Esteemed Contributor

I also love crossbody handbags.   I wish they would make them in larger sizes.  Most are overwhelming small.  I don’t know why handbag manufacturers don’t realize that people who carry crossbody like all different sizes just as any other handbag style.  In fact, the larger the bag the more healthy it is to carry the weight crossbody.

Trusted Contributor

I totally agree!  All I wear are crossbody bags made by Anuschka.  Functional, easy to get into, hands free and they don't through out my shoulder from the weight. 

Honored Contributor

Check out Fossil brand bags, I have several of their crossbody bags, and many are larger, which I need, because .I can only pare down so much.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can honestly say I've never had that experience...

Crossbodies are not for me... I need more room than most of them offer and I don't like the sensation of having that bag cutting across me... Those with which I experimented are almost never used...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@depglassI agree, since I started using one, I haven't gone back either.  I don't carry my life in my bag, so it works well for me.  I won't be going back.  I love the freedom of being hands free when shopping and I always know where my bag is.