Esteemed Contributor

On the Go Belt-Free Pouch Plus By Lori Greiner MAGNET QUESTION

I have two of these, one larger, one a bit smaller and we are about to travel by plane to Florida to visit our daughter and then on to a cruise.  I am wondering if the magnet is safe... or convenient..

1. Will the magnet set off TSA alarms?  Will it be detected going back and forth from the ship to the port?

2.  Will the magnet upset my credit cards stored inside the pouch?

3.  The  magnet is strong, will it affect a Pacemaker (hubby)if he should decided to wear one of mine?  Very, very strong magnet.

Perhaps I should just leave it home.

Respected Contributor

Re: On the Go Belt-Free Pouch Plus By Lori Greiner MAGNET QUESTION

I have had no experience with this particular pouch but I had a very small purse with a magnetic closure and I had trouble with the card the cruise line gave me for coming to and departing the ship. They had to reprogram it several times because it quit working. 

Honored Contributor

As for the airport security - this would be taken off and placed onto the belt just like a purse would. As for the pacemaker - you would have to hold the magnet right over your pacemaker for it to do anything - why would you be holding this purse over his upper chest? I have nothing to add about the cc and the magnet.

Esteemed Contributor

@itsmagic  THANKS.  I suspected as much.  I did call and they said NO PROBLEM.  But it  makes no sense that it would be no problem since magnets tend to erase things and interfere with things.  But I wanted to be sure.

I know in the past I have wiped hotel keys because I carried a magnetic badge which does not have the strength of this pouch.  

Oh well, I really don't want to take a chance being locked out or locked in or denied access.  

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu  I just read an article online and it said cards like the ones for hotels or the cruise ship are more susceptible to being easily erased by a magnet than a bank credit card because the room cards, etc are reprogrammed over and over again whereas credit cards are not and are better protected.  But the article said it is still possible for a credit card to be affected by a magnet.