Honored Contributor

Re: On changing our minds and handbag consignments.

[ Edited ]

@1ProfessorBuy it!  You will love it, mine is the original shopper (adore!) which you can't find anymore.  I would never part....a cult beauty.  Because the one you are looking at is an older design you will get the quality.  If you like it (I do), I'd jump on it.  Let me know how you like it.  It was my Two for Joy that opened my heart to Anuschka.

I have four older Anuschka designs that I hunted for sporadically throughout the last few years.  Forest Fairy is at the top of the list.  I am not a compulsive shopper and rarely purchase clothing/accessories for myself as I shop my closet and really love the items I have.  It is just that those few Anuschka older designs are something special.

Let me know if you decide to buy, !'m sure it will bring you a lot of joy!

Esteemed Contributor

I am a handbag lover. I have some that have never been used. And I feel a little bad about them.  That I essentially wasted money on something that I’m not using.  I was thinking about just this morning.

As far as “happiness fade” as mentioned by  @1Professor is concerned...I think how quickly it fades depends on how long it took us to get what we wanted. I think someone who waits and saves for a specific thing is happier longer with that thing after they get it than someone who decides they want it and they go out and get it.

And now I am going to evine to look at that first Anushka bag that someone posted. 😟

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

I am a handbag lover. I have some that have never been used. And I feel a little bad about them.  That I essentially wasted money on something that I’m not using.  I was thinking about just this morning.

As far as “happiness fade” as mentioned by  @1Professor is concerned...I think how quickly it fades depends on how long it took us to get what we wanted. I think someone who waits and saves for a specific thing is happier longer with that thing after they get it than someone who decides they want it and they go out and get it.

And now I am going to evine to look at that first Anushka bag that someone posted. 😟

I agree with you about happiness fade... I also think a big factor is why we buy in the first place... Whether it's a compulsion to have yet another bag, trying to fill some sort of niche in our lives that's lacking... or whether we legitimately want that bag, without there being any deeper reason for continuing to accrue things we don't need, don't ultimately want and hence end up wasting a lot of our resources...

I honestly love bags but looking at it objectively, I also came to the conclusion some time ago that my acquiring them often lacked any reasonable or reasoned motivation. I'm not content to continue allocating funds that are ultimately wasted and as nice as it might be to 'make someone else's day'... I'm not sure I'm able or willing to do that on a regular basis on my dime... At the end of the day, I'd also note that while most of us can appreciate and enjoy the acquisition of a beautiful new bag, it isn't ultimately going to make us 'happy'...

Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

Great Discussion! I have not had much luck with consignment stores because they usually take (in my experience) 40%.  But I do have better luck with selling my used bags on Ebay. I find that when I don't love a bag anymore, I would much rather it go to someone out there in Handbag Land to have it than just toss it in the Goodwill bag. Of course it sells at their retail stores but I feel I have some control of where its going when it sells on Ebay. As for the bags in the closet that continue to get the love here, they are like my favortie things. And they all get used. 

Valued Contributor

What an interesting thread. I too need to thin out my handbag collection and haven’t really given it much thought. You’ve given me something to think about!
Esteemed Contributor

I'm embarrassed to admit I may have set a record for "happiness fade."  Or does the happiness only start AFTER actually getting the bag?

I ordered one the other day and I should have it tomorrow.  I've already decided I have to absolutely LOVE it right out of the box or it's going back.

I'll admit it was an impulse purchase. Woman Sad

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@1ProfessorI very much enjoyed reading your post.  Very interesting.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Have you ladies tried selling your name brand bags on the Real Real?  They sell all kinds of nice items in their online store.

They'll even send you a box (and possibly a label) to send your item back in.Smiley Happy