Frequent Contributor

Oldies But Goodies - Vintage Designer Purses

I wanted to do a shout-out for the vintage designer handbags that are out there and somewhat easy to afford.  I was a big fan of the G.I.L.I. handbags before their designs and quality started to go downhill.  I appreciated the designer inspiration for many of those pieces, so I started to look at designer consignment.  Initially, I was shocked at the prices for pre-owned designer bags, moreso the current styles. But I found that a lot of the "vintage" styles (+10 years old) are more reasonably priced and there are some great "vintage" pieces out there that are simply classics.  I wanted to share some of my finds and hopefully you may view purchasing an "oldie" as an option in the future.

My latest purchase is a Gucci Horsebit Clutch in metallic leather and gold-tone hardware in excellent condition at $260.  Yes - it's not cheap, but you get amazing quality for the money.  I would never have been able to purchase this brand new... nor would I, even if I had the money at the time.

Gucci Purse.PNG

Does anyone else share the same experience or viewpoint?

Honored Contributor

Re: Oldies But Goodies - Vintage Designer Purses

I certainly can appreciate the style and quality, but I'm really not into handbags these days. The bag you posted is something I would certainly consider if I had the desire and wanted to part with 260 dollars.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not acquiring bags right now but I can understand the attraction of nicer vintage bags. Collecting them would be a lovely hobby. I wish I'd started doing so before I got caught up in buying handbags and now have too many to consider doing so.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@BritishGirl,   I'll sell you my first Louie Vuitton satchel that needs a new zipper.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

@Katcat1 

You might want to contact LV Customer service about that zipper repair.  

CAT

Frequent Contributor

@Katcat1  Thank-you for the offer KatCat1. I found that the only LV bag that I gravitate to is the LV Limited Edition Lambskin Stud Riveting bag that came out in 2007.  I stumbled upon one on sale in a consignment store this year that had been hardly used.

I would see if you can get the your zipper fixed so that you can use it (if you still love it) or try to get top-dollar if you decide to sell.  It amazes me how well the LV bags retain their value.

LV Purse.PNG

Super Contributor

Love that LV.... chased it around for years. Never got it....I’m jealous!
Respected Contributor

I collect vintage and older Coach bags, wallets, wristlets and coin purses. The leather is thick and lovely. I love consignment shops. And the prices are great.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is my favorite vintage Coach silver bag. I have lots of other nice bags but this one is the one I usually grab. It's perfect!

Image result for vintage silver coach purse