Respected Contributor

Re: New GILI Handbag up for purchase

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

I think it's a nice bag but way overpriced. For close to $400 for a bag, IMO I expect it to be a known designer brand. I hope those that buy it enjoy it. Nowadays, there are so many other places to find nice affordable leather bags. At at that price point, there are so many nice options out there. 

Lol Vix, this bag is priced at $329 not $400. Just read on the other thread about you venting about getting old. No worries, just pick up some readers. You made me laugh out loud. Woman LOL Woman LOL Woman LOL 

@Chi-town girl   In that other thread I was mentioning an entirely different thread were I was venting about many posters here that keep saying that all New Yorkers only wear black. That is what I said is getting old. 

I'm still in my twenties so I'm definietly not complaining about being old.

This bag with tax + S/H to NYC is $370.92, which as I said in my post is 'close to 400'. If that is not close for you I am not one to judge; I can only speak for myself. For me that is basically $400. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NycVixen wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@gramygram wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

I think it's a nice bag but way overpriced. For close to $400 for a bag, IMO I expect it to be a known designer brand. I hope those that buy it enjoy it. Nowadays, there are so many other places to find nice affordable leather bags. At at that price point, there are so many nice options out there. 

@NycVixen I agree with you on this one - its way overpriced

@gramygram @NycVixen... I agree with you. For the price, (and yes, by the time you add tax, etc., it's pushing four bills), I'd be looking elsewhere...

@stevieb @gramygram

In my opinion, currently GILI as a brand is entirely misguided. It was supposed to be a copy of high end designs that delivered quality at affordable prices. That's why is was such a huge hit in the beginning. When the first Roma 2 came out, It was priced at $159! I bought two; one in orange for my mom and the brown for myself. It was such an incredible value at that price point. The quality, style and posh were all there for a great price.

Somewhere down the line, the brand got lost in translation. TPTB got the idea to keep the brand 'posh' but to also make the prices posh as well. That was not the idea behind GILI at all.

Close to $400 for a bag IS a designer price. Therefore, this current pricing model is a complete 360 to GILI was when it was first introduced. It was supposed to be a designer look and feel at QVC prices. For $400 I can buy a Michael Kors, Tory Burch or many other true designer bags that carry the name recognition those prices merit.  

I think QVC got a bit greedy that the brand was so successful and decided to take advantage. In the process, they have completely changed the brand and have alienated the customers that made GILI a success. What they were supposed to do and I say this coming from many years of experience working in the fashion industry, was to keep putting out amazing merchandise at exceptional prices. Then instead of just having two GILI bags, I would most likely own many many more. But the prices went up way too fast and then for many items the quality went down significantly. 

I would buy way more GILI since the sizing is ideal for me if the prices were more reasonable like before. I'm a very savvy shopper with many options online and in B& M since I live in NYC. So, my dollar has a lot of competition. 

I agree with you @NycVixen... Designer, high-end retail, couture, whatever, a QVC house brand sort of loses credibility when they start pricing themselves as if they were something they're not... As you note, they started out offering items 'inspired by...' and somewhere along the line they decided they would try to parlay initial success into pretending they're right up there with the big boys... They're not... This strikes me as a pretty run of the mill bag for four hundred dollars... I'd also note that Lisa R. might have been able, occasionally, to take this brand into the stratosphere, but she's long gone... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@skyblue wrote:

My first thought is that it resembles an inexpensive lunch sack. Not the best first impression for a vey expensive bag!Woman Surprised

My second thought is how cheap and tacky the lining looks.

@skyblue You are bad... I likened it to a reusable shopping bag... but a lunch sack...? 

Woman Wink

After seeing more pictures of it, I don't think it's a bad looking bag, but nothing I'd want, especially at that price... I don't get how this 'brand' continues to have traction and I sure don't get the prices, but hey, each to their own.

Woman Happy

Oh, you guys are so entertaining Woman LOL It's like reading about a group on a bender that never ends Woman LOL

When you are considerate about what you purchase, even you can afford a $329 handbag. I mean stevie, really a whole spare room with bins and boxes stacked filled with new handbags never used???? So bad that you don't even know what you own and end up buying dupes by mistake? 

Or buying new cabinets to stash & hide bags-- bought 6 each of the same exact item, over and over again? That seems like a compulsive issue and that's probably part of the reason you guys can't afford this handbag. But how true, each to their own Woman LOL

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@skyblue wrote:

My first thought is that it resembles an inexpensive lunch sack. Not the best first impression for a vey expensive bag!Woman Surprised

@skyblue You are bad... I likened it to a reusable shopping bag... but a lunch sack...? 

Woman Wink

After seeing more pictures of it, I don't think it's a bad looking bag, but nothing I'd want, especially at that price... I don't get how this 'brand' continues to have traction and I sure don't get the prices, but hey, each to their own.

Woman Happy

Oh, you guys are so entertaining Woman LOL It's like reading about a group on a bender that never ends Woman LOL

When you are considerate about what you purchase, even you can afford a $329 handbag. I mean stevie, really a whole spare room with bins and boxes stacked filled with new handbags never used???? So bad that you don't even know what you own and end up buying dupes by mistake? 

Or buying new cabinets to stash & hide bags-- bought 6 each of the same exact item, over and over again? That seems like a compulsive issue and that's probably part of the reason you guys can't afford this handbag. But how true, each to their own Woman LOL

Absolutely thrilled beyond reason, really, that you're entertained by our saga... And since you apparently spend considerable time reading our posts then you probably realize we could afford this bag. We simply don't want it... That said, since you've decided to go the nasty route..., why is it that you, dear, appear fixated on this brand...? I mean Chi, it's like a call to arms for you... Whenever Gili so much as burps, there you are, covering every aspect of it... Honestly, just look at your reaction to a few 'nay' votes for this bag... It's really pretty grossly out of proportion to the stimulus... For months, it appeared your ardor for this brand was just a Lisa fan thing, but I guess the transference is now complete... Whatever...

Woman Wink

Lol stevie, it's not hard to miss your daily journal entries and I do find it amusing at times.  I miss the old Handbag Forum but sadly many posters have left, so this is what is left Woman LOL

What a fun time it's been connecting with you again. Woman Wink Please don't stop, but you do need to get crackin on that room. We are rooting for you, you can do it!!!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@skyblue wrote:

Woman Wink

Woman Happy

Hey Vix, you don't have to live in NY to have good shopping options. From what you have shared, I wouldn't call that savvy. When I refer to high end designer bags, I'm referencing Gucci, Prada, Chanel. Kors is soooo oversaturated. Burch is nice but hon, they are not in the same league. I think you are confused. .Woman Wink

@Chi-town girl  There is no need to be condescending to me or anyone else. So, does this post and the one to @stevieb make you feel superior to us and everyone else?  Don't call me 'hon' please. I was not referring to what you were saying because you and your thoughts about 'high end' bags were and are not a concern or interest of mine. I was simply responding to the post in a respectful manner, something that seems to escape you. 

I don't know why posters like yourself feel the need to hide behind anonymity and an avatar to belittle people you don't even know. Like I said in another thread, I hope old age or my circumstances don't reduce me to this behavior. I choose to be happy and treat people with respect. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@skyblue wrote:

Woman Wink

Woman Happy

Hey Vix, you don't have to live in NY to have good shopping options. From what you have shared, I wouldn't call that savvy. When I refer to high end designer bags, I'm referencing Gucci, Prada, Chanel. Kors is soooo oversaturated. Burch is nice but hon, they are not in the same league. I think you are confused. .Woman Wink

@Chi-town girl  There is no need to be condescending to me or anyone else. So, does this post and the one to @stevieb make you feel superior to us and everyone else?  Don't call me 'hon' please. I was not referring to what you were saying because you and your thoughts about 'high end' bags were and are not a concern or interest of mine. I was simply responding to the post in a respectful manner, something that seems to escape you. 

I don't know why posters like yourself feel the need to hide behind anonymity and an avatar to belittle people you don't even know. Like I said in another thread, I hope old age or my circumstances don't reduce me to this behavior. I choose to be happy and treat people with respect. 

@NycVixen, Vix, hon - I have no problems with your viewpoints or posts. Your posts are not as respectful or innocent as you suggest.

Sincerely thought your eyesight was playing tricks on you when you stated 400 when it's actually 329. So now when you discuss handbag prices, you are including s&h + tax? Just this case, right? I think your other posts simply referenced the item price.

And we are referencing 2 different leagues of designers. Just wanted to make sure we are discussing apples to apples.

Have a wonderful night!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@skyblue wrote:

Woman Wink

Woman Happy

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@skyblue wrote:

Woman Wink

Woman Happy

Absolutely thrilled beyond reason, really, that you're entertained by our saga... And since you apparently spend considerable time reading our posts then you probably realize we could afford this bag. We simply don't want it... That said, since you've decided to go the nasty route..., why is it that you, dear, appear fixated on this brand...? I mean Chi, it's like a call to arms for you... Whenever Gili so much as burps, there you are, covering every aspect of it... Honestly, just look at your reaction to a few 'nay' votes for this bag... It's really pretty grossly out of proportion to the stimulus... For months, it appeared your ardor for this brand was just a Lisa fan thing, but I guess the transference is now complete... Whatever...

Woman Wink

Lol stevie, it's not hard to miss your daily journal entries and I do find it amusing at times.  I miss the old Handbag Forum but sadly many posters have left, so this is what is left Woman LOL

What a fun time it's been connecting with you again. Woman Wink Please don't stop, but you do need to get crackin on that room. We are rooting for you, you can do it!!!

Oh I don't know, Chi, seems that to familiarize oneself so thoroughly with all those daily journal entries, you sort of have to go there, open then up and read them...

So true, lots of the old guard have left the handbag forum, so it is what it is... lacking though it might sometimes be...

And right, yea, always a pleasure... Definitely...

Woman Very Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@skyblue wrote:

Woman Wink

Woman Happy

@NycVixen, Vix, hon - I have no problems with your viewpoints or posts. Your posts are not as respectful or innocent as you suggest.

Sincerely thought your eyesight was playing tricks on you when you stated 400 when it's actually 329. So now when you discuss handbag prices, you are including s&h + tax? Just this case, right? I think your other posts simply referenced the item price.

And we are referencing 2 different leagues of designers. Just wanted to make sure we are discussing apples to apples.

Have a wonderful night!

@Chi-town girl  Well, it makes sense to add S+H and tax since you have to pay for it as well right? 

Like I said, I have no idea what you were referencing; I didn't even read the post(s) you are talking about.

I guess no one taught you about having some respect for others. I guess this is a way to seem relevant so I'll just ignore you from now on. 

Just buy the new GILI bag already if you find so affordable and think we can't buy it and cry me a river.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@skyblue wrote:

Woman Wink

Woman Happy

Have a wonderful night!

@Chi-town girl  Well, it makes sense to add S+H and tax since you have to pay for it as well right? 

Like I said, I have no idea what you were referencing; I didn't even read the post(s) you are talking about.

I guess no one taught you about having some respect for others. I guess this is a way to seem relevant so I'll just ignore you from now on. 

Just buy the new GILI bag already if you find so affordable and think we can't buy it and cry me a river.

@NycVixen -  are you ok? Just let it go. I'm not offended by your opinions or posts. No need for tears, its just shopping. Enjoy the rest of your night or early a.m.

Esteemed Contributor

One thing I notice about a lot if not most of the G.I.L.I. bags including this one is a lack of a good zipper closure. I also notice that with a lot of Aimee Kestenberg bags as well. There's also a sameness about some of the leather and colors which makes me think that they are made in the same factory in China.

Occasional Contributor

Does anyone know what the color Caramel looks like-what shade of brown or tan is it? There is no color swatch on the listing.