Honored Contributor

Re: Need Advice for Getting Smoke Odor Out of Bag

I frequently buy bags from Ebay and was so disappointed with a smoked bag I just loved.  I put coffee grounds into it and put the bag on a covered deck outside.  I promptly forgot about it for several weeks.  But it worked !  I vacuumed out the bag.

Honored Contributor

Don't mean to be a downer, but IMO the disgusting smoke smell never goes away.  Even if you find something that works it seems to be a temporary solution, and the smell comes back.

I only say this because if she has the ability to return it, that might be a good option.  

Respected Contributor

If it is at all possible, what I suggest from past experiences with this,;is place it outside during the day and hopefully in the sunshine. Then bring it into the garage or porch and repeat this for a few days. I know it sounds like a pain, but it worked for me. 

Also, if you can have your daughter return it, that would be even better, but if she wants to keep it she can try this method. Good Luck,

Honored Contributor

C581B39D-B215-4C2D-BCE4-4FC30BE5A290.jpeg

Honored Contributor

18612B35-9E62-4787-817F-BF4CEE48D3C7.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Charcoal is a major deodorizer

Honored Contributor

coffee 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I sold handbags on Ebay and it is THE hardest odor to get rid of..... and will often (horrors) come back!  I found that one of those tubs from WalMart (pet section) or supermarket (where air fresheners are sold) will do the trick.  They are gel odor absorbers.  I even used them on an old humpback ttrunk that had 100 year old paper lining with incredible scenes.  I couldn't wash it with anything and the smell was awful.  I put in two of these odor absorbers, closed the lid for a couple of weeks and it got rid of it. 

I've had success with stinky cigarette purses too, as well as a piece of furniture that the drawers smelled.  I put one absorber in each drawer, closed the drawer and waited a couple of weeks.

Good luck!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

Two suggestions: Spray with Ozium ( my family's " go to") or put a half cup of coffee beans in a mesh bag inside purse.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's a shame @beach-mom .  I think no matter what you try the smoke odor will return eventually.  I think it best to never ever buy a bag with "cigarette odor" labeled on the sale decription. Definitely one of the biggest deal breaker's.