Esteemed Contributor

I got a call from my sister who said she was sending me some bags (purses) she had saved.  She said they were high end and expensive and she had stored them away.  

I was joking but not really.  Of course I thanked her and was grateful she thought of me.  My  joke to her  was  that I carry shopping gags instead of purses.  She told me I should not do that and her bags would really be significiant and wonderful for me.

Here is my question or questions.  I am aware shopping bags are not really appropriate when dressed up but how many of you feel that expensive purses have value or appeal or whatever... enough for us to seek them out... the more expensive the better.

I just hope shes doesn't see this post.  LOL  

Valued Contributor

Re: My sisters gift

[ Edited ]

A high-end bag, or a bag that is obviously well made and elegant or stylish, is more important than you think -

I bought a few Patricia Nash bags (Pisticci and some others) and I cannot tell you how many women stop me every single time I am out, asking me who the designer is, and where they can purchase it.

Stylish bags finish off every outfit, you don't look complete if you dash out the door with an old denim bag or something that's too small and all your things stuffed into it.

And expense is not the thing, it's the look of the bag and matching your outfit that matters.

It's like having your hair styled before you leave the house, it completes your look!

Respected Contributor

I have a sister in law who carries handbags over 2k just to show off, to me that is really gross.  If you find a bag you like and its expensive but you buy it because YOU love it and you can afford it more power to you.  If your doing it just to show off...yuck!

Trusted Contributor

I  haven't carried a bag for years. I hate having to lug a heavy purse around when all I need out of it is my credit card which I just stick in my bra.

Years ago I was at Nordstroms.  The sales person told me you can tell the level of confidence a women has by the size of her purse. 

Honored Contributor

I don't dress for "other people"

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I find purses to be overrated in importance.  I have a handful of beautiful "bags" that rarely see use.

I find myself using clutch purses or pouches way more often.  I do enjoy it if they mesh with my outfit but I don't get wrapped around the wheel over it.  As long as my essential stuff gets along with me, I'm generally satisfied.

Car key, phone, ID and credit card - that's mostly what I need unless I am travelling.  In which case I might choose a larger bag.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

I  haven't carried a bag for years. I hate having to lug a heavy purse around when all I need out of it is my credit card which I just stick in my bra.

Years ago I was at Nordstroms.  The sales person told me you can tell the level of confidence a women has by the size of her purse. 

As I've gotten older & more confident my bags have gotten smaller.  I just don't need to carry as much stuff as I used to.  Not to mention that a smaller bag is easier on my shoulders.  I like a good quality cross body bag that is easy for being hands free.

Respected Contributor

I did a big purge on handbags a few years ago.  I live a casual life style now and usually use a sling bag that allows easy access and is hands free.  I pull out the few more expensive bags I own less and less.  I know some for some people it is thing.  Never was for me.

The notion of family loading me down with what they no longer use is not very appealing to me.  I don't need more stuff at this stage of my life.

Respected Contributor

I think back in the day it meant more but times have changed.  Most don't even use a big bag any more.  I myself carry a mid size during week.  

I think what  is more important is that your purse is not in shreds or dirty.  Or at least to me.

Honored Contributor

Confidence is expressed in the way you move, your posture, your voice, as well as your interactions with others.  It is not a material possession, it comes from within and noticeable.

A bag does not have to be expensive to look great with an outfit.  I find that  my priorities are a quality bag that is functional and well made over a large bag that declares itself as "designer" (large monograms/lots of fussy details).  I enjoy what I wear and what pleases me...no need for a huge bag unless the occasion requires it.