Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE, Short for BMW.

Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother Why not just keep what you have now (not give some away) but just stop purchasing new ones? You clearly love purses; many of us do. If you have a large collection, you can enjoy using different ones at different times. It is kind of like getting a new one, but you don't have to actually make a purchase. I think you should take joy in what you own. 😊

Respected Contributor

What a coincidence !  I purchased the TSV Peria storage containers and they came yesterday so I had a plan to go thru my handbags and store some of them in one of the boxes. I already have a large Peria storage box full of handbags including about 8 dooney's, Kathy Van Zeeland bags (remember that one?)  etc.Today  I put together a large Peria container and packed away another 20 handbags including more dooney's and a couple of Big Buddha bags (remember those?) I looked up big buddha bags and it looks like they are sold on Etsy now. Loved those bags !  So all together I have about 35 handbags of different sizes and I just ordered the TSV bag from a couple of days ago, still waiting for it.  I think I have a bag fettish!!   Might be time to go to the goodwill Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@fairydogmother Why not just keep what you have now (not give some away) but just stop purchasing new ones? You clearly love purses; many of us do. If you have a large collection, you can enjoy using different ones at different times. It is kind of like getting a new one, but you don't have to actually make a purchase. I think you should take joy in what you own. 😊

I really like what you said. It is fun to go shopping in my own purse closet, lol. That said, I just googled consignment stores and there's a nice one near me that offers womens clothing and accessories. 
Tomorrow morning I'll take a few bags in. Yes I've decided to keep more than three. That was going to feel like a punishment. The compromise is to keep about half my collection and not buy more. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

I have an addiction, too.  But I'm to the point to that I want to *grow my own*.

No brand, no designer, no one does a bag as exactly as I what I want.

There's always at least one feature that's a turn off.  I just have to deal with it.

I wish I had the means to create my own handbags.  (I'm the same way with bras, too.  lol)

Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

Finally had to accept that I have a problem. Not kidding. I have sixteen bags. Now that may seem like a small collection to some of you. For me, it's more about the motivation. Stalking sales, getting a rush when I find the the best deal, ordering, receiving. The thrill of opening the box. After that comes the big letdown. The purse doesn't satisfy like I hoped it would. So either I return it or carry it a couple of times, eventually it goes to a thrift shop. Meanwhile always looking for the next great discount. Our (husband and myself) budget has taken quite a hit over time. Money that should have been saved or utilized in much better ways. 
So I've set out my current collection where I can see each bag. I will keep three- a large tote, a mid size crossbody and my Lug ranger 2  

Someone at the thrift store is going to get some great deals. 
No more purses for me. I'm staying off the "trigger" websites. 
Turning my attention to more constructive pursuits. It's funny how something that once seemed like harmless fun, turned into an obsession. But I'm over it now. 

Twelve Step Program for everything.  Good luck.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Re: My purse addiction

[ Edited ]

I totally get it, @fairydogmother, and good for you!  I recently had a "come to Jesus" moment of self evaluation as well and cancelled the PN tote that was on waitlist.  I'm also returning the Christmas plaid Dooney tote.  It's beautiful, but a lot of money to spend for a purse that has limited use.  I shouldnt have been so spontaneous. Also cancelled a Dooney Domed Satchel that was on extended delivery and still hasn't shipped.  Regretfully, I got caught up in the frenzy too. Thankfully, we can stop, correct, and pivot. 

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I have an addiction, too.  But I'm to the point to that I want to *grow my own*.

No brand, no designer, no one does a bag as exactly as I what I want.

There's always at least one feature that's a turn off.  I just have to deal with it.

I wish I had the means to create my own handbags.  (I'm the same way with bras, too.  lol)

@Lucky Charm   I've often thought the same thing.  You've heard of Build A Bear?  Maybe someone should start Build A Bag?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: My purse addiction

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

Finally had to accept that I have a problem. Not kidding. I have sixteen bags. Now that may seem like a small collection to some of you. For me, it's more about the motivation. Stalking sales, getting a rush when I find the the best deal, ordering, receiving. The thrill of opening the box. After that comes the big letdown. The purse doesn't satisfy like I hoped it would. So either I return it or carry it a couple of times, eventually it goes to a thrift shop. Meanwhile always looking for the next great discount. Our (husband and myself) budget has taken quite a hit over time. Money that should have been saved or utilized in much better ways. 
So I've set out my current collection where I can see each bag. I will keep three- a large tote, a mid size crossbody and my Lug ranger 2  

Someone at the thrift store is going to get some great deals. 
No more purses for me. I'm staying off the "trigger" websites. 
Turning my attention to more constructive pursuits. It's funny how something that once seemed like harmless fun, turned into an obsession. But I'm over it now. 

Twelve Step Program for everything.  Good luck.

I assume you're joking or something. Certainly I'm not in a program 😉

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I totally get it, @fairydogmother, and good for you!  I recently had a "come to Jesus" moment of self evaluation as well and cancelled the PN tote that was on waitlist.  I'm also returning the Christmas plaid Dooney tote.  It's beautiful, but a lot of money to spend for a purse that has limited use.  I shouldnt have been so spontaneous. Also cancelled a Dooney Domed Satchel that was on extended delivery and still hasn't shipped.  Regretfully, I got caught up in the frenzy too. Thankfully, we can stop, correct, and pivot. 

Yes! I so relate to your post. I have done plenty of ordering, canceling, returning. Many of my purchases have sprung from getting caught up in the frenzy over todays specials, posts on the forums about fantastic deals etc. As a bona fide adult, I should be capable of enjoying the chats without losing my impulse control. Lol 

Harmonize the World