Respected Contributor

Finally had to accept that I have a problem. Not kidding. I have sixteen bags. Now that may seem like a small collection to some of you. For me, it's more about the motivation. Stalking sales, getting a rush when I find the the best deal, ordering, receiving. The thrill of opening the box. After that comes the big letdown. The purse doesn't satisfy like I hoped it would. So either I return it or carry it a couple of times, eventually it goes to a thrift shop. Meanwhile always looking for the next great discount. Our (husband and myself) budget has taken quite a hit over time. Money that should have been saved or utilized in much better ways. 
So I've set out my current collection where I can see each bag. I will keep three- a large tote, a mid size crossbody and my Lug ranger 2  

Someone at the thrift store is going to get some great deals. 
No more purses for me. I'm staying off the "trigger" websites. 
Turning my attention to more constructive pursuits. It's funny how something that once seemed like harmless fun, turned into an obsession. But I'm over it now. 

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like you have made the right decision.  I give you credit for realizing what is going on and how it is impacting you in a negative way.  Many, many people chase happiness 

in various ways.  In fact, our society encourages it.

I have way too much myself.  But I guess the difference is that DH and I raised and educated two children.  After college, we helped them get a good start.  So finally time for us.  DH has his beemer and I have much stuff.  But time to quit!  And along the way, we do give to charity.  And we are giving things away.

Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother  Cudos to you for realizing you had a problem.   I am proud of you for making an effort to buy more "stuff."     I have come to know that I can not carry any of my possessions with me when I die, so they do not seem as important.   Perhaps in my old age, I am finally growing up after all! 

Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother   If 16 bags is an addiction, let me just say, "my name is Kachina and I'm a bagoholic".  Yes, I know how it is to always be chasing the " holy grail" of handbags and I have expensive taste.  I'm returning one I just got in the big Dooney sale.  It's beautiful but too much bag for me.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I am MeowingKitty and I am also a Bagaholic. Brighton is my poison of choice. I have so many. All small crossbodies, no totes or big bags. I also have a few Brahmins and Hammitt bags. I donate them to a local animal shelter where they can sell them for the animals. I also seem to be on the lookout for the holy grail of bags and never seem to find one.

Honored Contributor

Have you tried selling your gently used bags in a consignment shop?  You could at least be getting some money back on your previous purchases

Esteemed Contributor

I have over purchased handbags, wallets, backpacks, duffles, suitcases and whatever holds anything by strap or shoulder or travels by wheels.   I was decluttering when I took a break and read this.  I have no clue why this addiction.  I have not traveled since Covid  and that makes is over 2 years.  I have called in help to take it away and sell it or put it to auction and no one has showed up. I have also asked my children and grandchildren and they simply are not interested.  The only other thing I am addicted to is ice cream.  

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I am MeowingKitty and I am also a Bagaholic. Brighton is my poison of choice. I have so many. All small crossbodies, no totes or big bags. I also have a few Brahmins and Hammitt bags. I donate them to a local animal shelter where they can sell them for the animals. I also seem to be on the lookout for the holy grail of bags and never seem to find one.

@Meowingkitty Brighton bags are my favorite too.  I love how they are made but unfortunately they never really go on sale.  Prices have really gone up on them and I haven't purchased one in a while.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Sounds like you have made the right decision.  I give you credit for realizing what is going on and how it is impacting you in a negative way.  Many, many people chase happiness 

in various ways.  In fact, our society encourages it.

I have way too much myself.  But I guess the difference is that DH and I raised and educated two children.  After college, we helped them get a good start.  So finally time for us.  DH has his beemer and I have much stuff.  But time to quit!  And along the way, we do give to charity.  And we are giving things away.

What's a beemer ?

Honored Contributor

@SharkE BMW...Beemer