Valued Contributor

My new white Dooney bag came with a dark blue storage bag!

I am not comfortable with this as I saw somewhere that the color can transfer from the storage bag to the handbag. Anyone have experience with dark storage bags and white handbags?
Valued Contributor

Re: My new white Dooney bag came with a dark blue storage bag!

I am not a light bag gal, but maybe store your bag in a white pillow case.  Or maybe wash the blue storage bag in hot water to bleed out any dye. ???  If you are concerned I'd use the white pillow case.  A few years ago my daughter's jeans discolored one of her BMakowsky bags (from rubbing on her hip).

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Yes, I just put the bag in a white pillow case then the dooney bag. No big deal.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had the dye from denim jeans transfer to bags, but never the dye from the dust cover bag. I agree with the others; if you're worried, get a cheap pillowcase to put the bag in.

Honored Contributor

I'm a jeans wearer too, and the problem with color transfer seems worst with pebble leather bags, so l avoid those in light colors. For some reason, the stiffer leathers, like saffiano, florentine or patent, don't seem to have that problem. As far as storage, l don't think the dark bag would create a problem, but I'd also use a pillowcase just to be sure.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

It's not worth taking a chance with an expensive handbag.  I store all light colored handbags in white pillow cases or pillow protectors.  I buy cheap ones at Christmas Tree shop and wash them first.  If possible try to get at least 50% cotton so the leather can breathe.