Esteemed Contributor

My brand new A.Kestenberg bag is ruined

I used my new Lafayette (#a279339) in the beautiful gold python leather the other day.  Love the bag and to my dismay when I got home the back of the bag had blue dye on it.  I was wearing an old pair of jeans that have been washed many times, so I don't know how this happened. This didn't happen with other handbags when wearing these jeans. I spent over $250 on it and it is ruined after just one use.  

Honored Contributor

Re: My brand new A.Kestenberg bag is ruined

@twinsister This morning Rachael on the morning show had a guy on who cleaned the bottom of a genuine leather purse with V33463, called Green Gobbler.  It's 22.98 & $5 shipping.

Go over and look at the demonstration.  The way I see it you've spent close to $30 to try to save a very expensive purse.

If it doesn't work send it back to QVC and you'll get most of your money back.  It sounds like you don't have much to lose.

Leather (good leather) is a lot more resilient than most people realize!  I've actually taken one of those white sponges you get for taking marks off of the wall and cleaned the spots from my leather purses and they look new.

Try it on an area where you can't see it.  Hope it works.  Let us know back here as someone might need something similar.  

Just don't give up.   It's hard to really ruin leather.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 - thanks so much for the suggestions.  I will look at that video.  I also have those white sponges and will try it.  At this point what do I have to lose?  Will let you know what happens.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@twinsister This morning Rachael on the morning show had a guy on who cleaned the bottom of a genuine leather purse with V33463, called Green Gobbler.  It's 22.98 & $5 shipping.

Go over and look at the demonstration.  The way I see it you've spent close to $30 to try to save a very expensive purse.

If it doesn't work send it back to QVC and you'll get most of your money back.  It sounds like you don't have much to lose.

Leather (good leather) is a lot more resilient than most people realize!  I've actually taken one of those white sponges you get for taking marks off of the wall and cleaned the spots from my leather purses and they look new.

Try it on an area where you can't see it.  Hope it works.  Let us know back here as someone might need something similar.  

Just don't give up.   It's hard to really ruin leather.

I purchased some of that Green Gobbler stuff after watching their oven cleaning demo.  After 5, yes 5, applications, it did nothing to clean my oven.  Therefore, I don't have much faith that it would clean dye off of a leather purse. 

Honored Contributor

@twinsister I have used those white sponges in the shower when I've gotten carried away (when I was younger and wanted a tan) and over did the lotion that makes you look like a suntan.  It got inbetween my toes and finger and looked terrible.

I used the sponge and it make it look a little more 'normal'.  Ha!  It didn't damage my feet or hands.

I remember when my granddaughter was maybe 2 years old she took one of those magic markers (black) and scribbled all over my coffee table.  It wasn't super expensive but not cheap.  I thought, "What the heck!  I think I'll try it.  Nothing to lose".  I'll be dog gone it if it didn't take all of the permanent marker off but didn't mess up the gloss of the finish!  I earned some major brownie points from my husband!  He was so impressed that I did that!  I didn't say it was a guess, he thought I was smart!  Ha!

If you look at the video you can see where she walks over to the nice looking all leather purse and the bottom looks very filthy and she wipes across it.  I saw it this morning and Rachael was with her.  I hope it helps.

You know, I just received those new blue blue jeans (very dark) I'd ordered from the Q the other day.  They stink like crazy (dye) so I will have to wash them over and over or else they will color my new leather seats which are beige.

I learned the hard way about blue blue jeans.  I have had purses ruined like you did.  I remember I've taken off those jeans after getting caught in rain and my underwear and legs were actually blue!  Ha!

Good luck sweet girl and let us know.  Hope it works.

Honored Contributor

@scotnovel I listened to her say (paraphrasing) "I'm not saying it will clean your oven if you haven't cleaned it in a year".  I thought, "Humm, I think Jesus walked the earth when I cleaned mine".  Ha!

Seriously, though, I thought it might work for her because she showed a leather purse and she can use it on several things and if it doesn't work on stuff, send it back the cheapest way, or find another use for it.  At least she has to try something.

I've used those white sponges for lots of things (see my post).  I'd try everything with that leather purse if I was her.  That's happened to me before (see my post) and I've been able to get it cleaned.

Leather is way more durable than most people think.  I hope it works for her (or something does).

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@scotnovel I listened to her say (paraphrasing) "I'm not saying it will clean your oven if you haven't cleaned it in a year".  I thought, "Humm, I think Jesus walked the earth when I cleaned mine".  Ha!

Seriously, though, I thought it might work for her because she showed a leather purse and she can use it on several things and if it doesn't work on stuff, send it back the cheapest way, or find another use for it.  At least she has to try something.

I've used those white sponges for lots of things (see my post).  I'd try everything with that leather purse if I was her.  That's happened to me before (see my post) and I've been able to get it cleaned.

Leather is way more durable than most people think.  I hope it works for her (or something does).

I keep one of those teflon oven sheets on the bottom on my oven.  What I had were a few spots on the inside of the oven door that weren't coming off.  They weren't thick and hadn't been there a long time and I didn't want to use one of those caustic oven cleaners.  I was impressed with the demo they showed and got suckered in and it didn't work at all.  It also left a film on the glass top so I'm done with it.  

I agree I'd try a lot of things on that purse because otherwise it isn't usable. 

Regular Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 - I am sending the handbag back.  Just called CS and explained what happened.  No problem in returning.   I have used those white sponges (Magic Eraser) for so many different things, and they are miracle workers but not for this!  Have to tell you the same thing happened to me with getting caught in the rain with new blue jeans and my underwear turning blue - HaHa!!!

@newagain888888 - thanks for that link - looks very useful!

Thanks again ladies for your suggestions - appreciate it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 - Forgot to mention I watched that video on the Green Gobbler. That stuff looks good too.  Will have to remember this also.  Thanks again!