Frequent Contributor

My bag is labeled "SAMPLE- NOT FOR RE-SALE" What does this mean?

I purchased a bag from the internet site of a designer that also sells on QVC.  There is a label attached to the inside lining that says "SAMPLE-NOT FOR RE-SALE"  Does anyone know what this means?  I hope it is not a counterfeit bag!

Honored Contributor

Re: My bag is labeled "SAMPLE- NOT FOR RE-SALE" What does this mean?

It means it was a sample and was not meant to be sold.  It was probably at some upscale shop or department store and they had no use for it; they sold it and it ended up in the hands of someone with an internet business.  I doubt that it is a counterfeit.  The whole point of counterfeit bags is to fool people into thinking they are the real thing, a brand new bag.  If you love the bag and I assume you got it at rock bottom pricing,  carry it with pride and enjoy it. 

Frequent Contributor

Oh!  I got it from the designer's website.  I assumed they would only sell first quality bags.  :-/

Respected Contributor

You purchased the bag from the designer's website?  Then I wouldn't worry about it, like the other poster mentioned.  I'm assuming it was on sale?  If you're concerned call them and ask.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Desigers make prototype bags they circulate to buyers. Evidentally, this is one that didn't get sent out. If it's otherwise fully intact and pristine, I'd not worry about it. It's not likely to be a fake. Hopefully though, you did at least get a sale price.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

I got a Dooney and Bourke from eBay that said that and the person I bought it from told me before I purchased it that it was bought at the Dooney and Bourke tent sale. I didn't care it's gorgeous and in perfect shape. It was the Florentine Snapper Wristlet I had been looking for forever.

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't worry about it being a sample bag. Like others have said, designers and handbag companies make prototypes or samples that department store and other retailers look at to decide if they want to order them for their website or stores. Some samples also don't get made further if a buyer didn't decide to order it. I would enjoy your sample bag, especially if you got it and a good price and you love it!

Frequent Contributor

Thanks,  all,  for the advice.  I do love the bag, so I will keep it and enjoy it.

Honored Contributor

When I lived in Los Angeles, I used to buy garment-district samples all the time.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello, I am new to this forum and my response wouldn't post?? I tried it a few times so I hope it isn't posted more than once??lol! 

I know this is an old post but people do research this topic and I need to get this on record. . I was told by an well known authentication service, that SAMPLE BAGS are actually really good to find and are more valuable. .

#1. because they are generally the original,, which makes them rare collectibles. 

ie;  they are often the very first bag of a popular collection, that was the original, before the style was put into production.  For example, lets use something everyone knows, such as  the 'Louis Vuitton Speedy Satchel' , the 'SAMPLE BAG'  would test how well it was liked before they came out with the Speedy. Making it 'THE' original Speedy! Same goes for any other collection style, before the style was decided to be put out, there was the 'SAMPLE BAG" 

This makes them actually more valuable, since they are THE original. 

#2 Reason... SAMPLE BAGS are often exhibited at Trade shows, or worn by Runway models, to introduce a new line!  I would be thrilled to find any 'SAMPLE Bags!'

What if your bag was worn by Cynthia Crawford? Or any famous Super Model! ( giving away my age! lol!) That in itself would make it more valuable. Sadly, there is no way to know who demoed the bag. These Super Models often get to keep these bags, and then later on wil donate them to a church or resale shop , if they don't keep it, and that's how we can end up finding one. It's not very often one can find a 'SAMPLE BAG' 

#3.  Granted, not all of them were popular and many didn't get good ratings from the trade show or runway show, so they weren't always put into production, but there again, that would make it THE ONLY ONE, from that designer, whoever made the sampe bag, which then makes it ONE of a KIND, with no others having been made! 

How great would it be to carry a Gucci that no one else has! Making it a one of a kind, which in itself, makes it a collectibe. 

In summary, SAMPLE BAGS are actually rare collectibles, that were either the original,of a certain series,  or one of a kind!

Either way, being an original, or one of a kind, makes it more valuable, not less. So please! I wish I had seen this sooner and you didn't get rid of it? It is probably more valuable than most of your other bags without the SAMPLE tag!  I hope you kept it, The older it gets, the more valuable it is, depending which style it is, and of course, condition of the bag. .