Valued Contributor

Hi All.  Are metallic bags seasonless or are they more appropriate in spring/summer?  I have a silver metallic bag and a champagne colored bag.  Opinions needed - thank you!!

Super Contributor

Metallics are my favorite handbags.  I don't care if they're meant for one season over another--I carry mine year 'round!

Honored Contributor

Re: Metallic Bags

[ Edited ]

Stella McCartney makes a gorgeous metallic bag (falabella tote) and I would proudly wear it year round.

Super Contributor

Back in the day (hate to say how many years) denim became really popular as regular wear, not just jeans for hard outdoor work. Denim skirts, especially were "in." The outfit was a denim skirt, a nice blouse topped with a scarf, white panty hose and metallic silver handbags and metallic silver shoes (flats). It was the height of work fashion in the school where I taught. I thought it was THE LOOK. I would love to re-create it today; I felt so put together in that outfit. I still love metallic handbags-----love all of them. Silver is my favorite. Sterling or white gold jewelrywere also accessories.

tea

Trusted Contributor

i love metallic bags and accessories as long as they’re not gaudy looking. i wear them year round and in the daytime. 

Honored Contributor

@teainlondon  I tried to picture your description and just can't get past the "white panty hose".  I can only envision that maybe on a nurse...but even that is a stretch.  Interesting how fashion changes.

@teainlondon wrote:

Back in the day (hate to say how many years) denim became really popular as regular wear, not just jeans for hard outdoor work. Denim skirts, especially were "in." The outfit was a denim skirt, a nice blouse topped with a scarf, white panty hose and metallic silver handbags and metallic silver shoes (flats). It was the height of work fashion in the school where I taught. I thought it was THE LOOK. I would love to re-create it today; I felt so put together in that outfit. I still love metallic handbags-----love all of them. Silver is my favorite. Sterling or white gold jewelrywere also accessories.

tea

Valued Contributor

I have a cute rose gold Kipling crossbody bag. It's pale pink so I won't carry it past the next few weeks. But that's just me. It's a personal decision so do what makes you happy.

Honored Contributor

I use them more in the summer, but I think they're seasonless.  I like them with the darker, pewter hardware in the colder months, but that's just a personal preference.

I don't like white/bone bags so I use metallics all the time in the summer.

Respected Contributor

Metallic bags can be used all year long.  Sometimes they are in the forefront of fashion and very popular,  sometimes they are just classics.    As for color, as long as the handbag works with your clothing,  go for it.   Darker metallics are easier to wear in colder weather,  and lighter metallics easier for warmer seasons.   However,  there is nothing like a pop of color (lor metallic) as contrast to an outfit.   A bright silver metallic would accent a black, grey, or dark blue outfit beautifully,  no matter waht the season.   And a gold metallic would look lovely with fall colors of dark greens, rusts, burgundies, browns.    Fast forward to spring,  and wear a dark metallic with a pastel outfil.  

Have some fun.  The only handbag looks I don't like are the ones where someone considers their handbag a neutral and wears it with everything.... no matter how little the handbag and the outfit together enhance the look.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I think they're year round but I prefer lighter ones in the summer and my darker one I keep for winter.  The light one I have is sparkly gold and metallic pewter is what I carry during winter.