Regular Contributor

Magnetic closure on handbags

Just curious… Do you still need to be concerned with magnetic closures on handbags? I just bought a bag with a pretty strong magnetic, and didn’t know if concern with phones and credit cards was still an issue.
Thanks.
Respected Contributor

Re: Magnetic closure on handbags

I still avoid them if I can ever since a very strong one on a Dooney kept erasing my hotel room card magnetic strip. 

I had to keep having it re-done and finally the hotel clerk asked if I had a magnet on my handbag and advised keeping it in my pocket instead.  

Don't know if they affect phone or credit cards??

Respected Contributor

Credit cards do not have magnetic strips they have chips. And almost 0 cards of any sort are affected by RFID. 

Regular Contributor

What about phones?
Honored Contributor

Never worried much about it but a recent experience has me worried about the clasp on my straps.   I have a Coach bag, comes with 2 straps, one long, one short.   The clasps are large & seem sturdy & they attach to a rather large, seemingly sturdy ring.   I use both straps

In the grocery store recently a man inappropriately tapped me on my right shoulder, where I wear my bag, to squeeze by me in an aisle with those stupid displays right in front of the shelves.    No one has ever done that, sometimes I get a gentle bump with a cart but most of the time people just say excuse me &  keep their hands to themselves.

:Long story short, when I get to the check out, I notice one (out of 4) of the clasps was not fastened.

Honored Contributor

An easy option to enhance safety....avoid magnetic closures.

Regular Contributor

The bag has a zip closure, but the side pocket has a strong magnet. I’m not concerned about the safety of the contents, but concerned whether the strong magnet would harm electronics etc that I carry.
Honored Contributor

I've never heard of a magnetic closure harming anything electronic.  I doubt the handbag magnets are strong enough to harm anything.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I love magnetic clasps, they're easy.

Honored Contributor

I have never had an issue with a magnetic closure affecting anything.