Honored Contributor

MANUFACTURERS OF PURSES ARE ABLE TO STILL CALL BONDED LEATHER, GENUINE LEATHER

"Bonded leather is made by shredding leather scraps and leather fiber, then mixing it with bonding materials. The mixture is next extruded onto a fiber cloth, or paper backing, and the surface is usually embossed with a leather-like texture or grain. Color and patterning, if any, are a surface treatment that does not penetrate like a dyeing process would. The natural leather fiber content of bonded leather varies. The manufacturing process is somewhat similar to the production of paper.[1]

Lower-quality materials may suffer flaking of the surface material in as little as a few years, while better varieties are considered very durable and retain their pattern and color even during commercial use.[1] Because the composition of bonded leathers and related products varies considerably (and is sometimes a trade secret), it may be difficult to predict how a given product will perform over the course of time. There is a wide range in the longevity of bonded leathers and related products; some better-quality bonded leathers are claimed to be superior in durability over low-quality genuine leather.[2"

The above is from Wikipedia, "Bonded Leather," 

Honored Contributor

Re: MANUFACTURERS OF PURSES ARE ABLE TO STILL CALL BONDED LEATHER, GENUINE LEATHER

That stinks. They should have to label it as bonded just like they do the cheap furniture made out of it. I don't want any of it. Should not cost as much as nice leather.

Guess it's not any different then using the word Natural on food products when there is nothing Natural about it.

Or the glue they use on meat to glue it together & sell it as x when it's not.

Honored Contributor

Re: MANUFACTURERS OF PURSES ARE ABLE TO STILL CALL BONDED LEATHER, GENUINE LEATHER

This will really blow your mind. At ST. LAURENT:

"Saint Laurent
Sac de Jour Small Satchel Bag, Black (Noir)
$2,890.00
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Online Inquiries: NMF17_V2RDR | Store Inquiries: #1633368
The Sac de Jour: An interpretation of a French day bag, this is the icon of the couture house. The minimalist design offers ease of everyday wear, while the meticulous attention to detail shows through from the accordion sides to the many features within the bag.
Saint Laurent bonded leather satchel bag."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

At Walmart you can see this:  "Michael Kors Large Bonded Leather Tote 

Black, "249.00"  This is in the reviews. The bag also shows up as not available in another Walmart page.

What is more interesting is that if you input Michael Kors bonded leather handbag into the search window you will see many hits for the Micheal Kors Mercer Tote. When you go to the websites selling the totes, they say the bag is pebbled leather. I am puzzled by this. Try it, you will see what I mean.

Esteemed Contributor

These are worst than that Stella McCartney handbag line then.  Hers are not even leather, but some sort of fabric and some women love them.  I always see good reviews for those bags.  Not for me though.  I know what real leather feels, looks and smells like....

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

DIMENSIONS
6.4 INCHES
100% CALF-SKIN LEATHER
  • SUEDE LINING
  • INTERIOR CENTRAL ZIP COMPARTMENT, 2 SLOT POCKETS, 1 ZIP POCKET AND KEY RING WITH PADLOCK KEYS AFFIXED TO INTERIOR WITH A SNAP
  • REMOVABLE LEATHER ENCASED PADLOCK, BRASS FEET
STYLE ID
355153BOO0J6525
MADE IN ITALY

Here is the manufacturer's description.
*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

The Federal Trade Commision posted GUIDELINES about the use of the term bonded leather. These are only guidelines and are not mandatory. Go to ftc.gov under Bonded Leather to see what they said. I find this disturbing. There's no strength in a guideline.

Honored Contributor

All the highest priced bag manufacturers make some fabric bags, but they disclose what they are made of. What concerns me is that there is nothing to prevent manufacturers and sellers from calling bonded leather genuine leather or even pebbled leather (pebbled, is just a finish). If we ladies don't stand together to get truth and disclosure we will be paying a great deal for bags that are not made of superior quality materials and we won't even know what we are really getting.

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:
DIMENSIONS
6.4 INCHES
100% CALF-SKIN LEATHER
  • SUEDE LINING
  • INTERIOR CENTRAL ZIP COMPARTMENT, 2 SLOT POCKETS, 1 ZIP POCKET AND KEY RING WITH PADLOCK KEYS AFFIXED TO INTERIOR WITH A SNAP
STYLE ID
355153BOO0J6525
MADE IN ITALY

Is this for the Stella bag? If it is, and you say it doesn't seem like leather to you I'm not sure what is up. If you see suede on the other side of her leather, wouldn't that mean it's real, 100% leather?

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:
DIMENSIONS
6.4 INCHES
100% CALF-SKIN LEATHER
  • SUEDE LINING
STYLE ID
355153BOO0J6525
MADE IN ITALY

Is this for the Stella bag? If it is, and you say it doesn't seem like leather to you I'm not sure what is up. If you see suede on the other side of her leather, wouldn't that mean it's real, 100% leather?

@Mindy D no this is for the bag you are discussing by Yves St. Laurent...found it on their website as well as Nordstrom.

*Call Tyrone*