Trusted Contributor
I see mor and more middle class women carrying these bags as a statement that they can afford luxury. I think that this tarnishes the brand because now that it seems everyone has one it’s not so exclusive. Reminds me of the Coach bags that suddenly started to appear everywhere and no longer it’s original iteration.
Valued Contributor

@Allthingsgirly67 - how do you know these ppl who are carrying the bags are middle class??? Besides, middle class to your standards might be high class to others.  Just let ppl carry what they want and move on.  

Respected Contributor

Who is Lois?  Do you mean Louis.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

You are right @Glitter51   We have no idea what anybody earns or has in the bank.

Honored Contributor

Probably "copies", forgeries, imitations, etc.    You can tell by looking at the rest of what the person is wearing.....    If the total "look" doesn't add up to wealth, then it's a fake.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Re: Lois Vuitton

[ Edited ]

Taking the whole 'class' issue out of the equation because it seems a bit elitist, the preponderance of LV bags does, for me, make the brand seem both less aspirational and less appealing. Anything that you see coming and going loses its cache. That said, probably a good portion of them are better knockoffs.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Allthingsgirly67  I wouldn't know, to be honest! I haven't carried a bag in years, and I never look at anyone else's.

But, in a way, I get what you said.

Something I do not understand is how my DD HAS to have those designer bags, and she now has this huge collection, and....well, I just don't get it! Like, she's arrived or something.

But when she does show me her things, I can certainly appreciate the quality. Cause there definitely is a difference.

Trusted Contributor
I can say middle class as I do live in an area that does have affluent neighborhoods and middle class neighborhoods. It’s been about the last I’d say 7years that I have seen a proliferation of these bags and as a previous poster mentioned it does lose its cache when everyone is carrying one. At my macys they have a Luis Vuitton store and there are people lined up to gain access into the store. To each his own but the style that seems most popular is the large tote. I personally would not pay that amount for a big not very functional bag. IMHO.
Trusted Contributor

🤓  LOIS VUITTON?

Wasn't she Clark Kent's girlfriend, the one with the great handbags?

Respected Contributor

@Allthingsgirly67 I agree that once they were considered exclusive and very high end, but now they are much more common and carried by many people.  They do have plain bags, like plain black, but most people seem to prefer the patterns that are most associated with the brand.   People apparently love the look, and for a time and maybe for some people still it was for status reasons.  I've heard the quality is very good although since they expanded their commercial store presence and had to increase production, maybe there have been changes to that?  I heard that they had some china manufacturing more recently.  And also a good point that was made is that there are many. Knock offs now too.