Trusted Contributor

@MissRose722 wrote:

As someone who has several Louis Vuitton handbags, the majority purchased pre-owned, I don't think "middle  class" people (myself among them) do not tarnish the brand. What does tarnish the brand, IMHO, are people purchasing counterfeit fakes. I'm a big advocate of buying pre-owned designer handbags as there are many good buys to be found on reputable websites. It also promotes sustainability. I have coveted Louis Vuitton handbags since I was in my 20's but could not afford one at the time. Upon turning 50, I was able to afford several over the years. In case some of you are not aware, eBay offers an "Authenticity Guarantee" on many pre-owned designer items sold there. Just look for the items with a blue checkmark after them. When buying these items, the Seller first sends it to eBay's Authentication Team, who then inspects the item and confirm it is authentic. Before eBay ships it to the Buyer, they enclose a card with a computer chip. This card, when scanned with a smartphone, states the item details. This past December I purchased a pre-owned LV Speedy 25 from eBay in this manner. The handbag was made in France in July 1992 and in great condition.  I paid $630, and if brand new would retail for $1,700. Photo is below (bag charm by Laura Lombardi).

20230824_132835.jpg

@MissRose722  One of the only LV bags I've ever owned was an Epi. I purchased it around '92. I passed it on to my younger daughter when she was in high school, and she still uses it at 28.

bbaa3d91aff376bd6fe3457694e74f1d.jpg

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Super Contributor

@Love to Run , ah, the Cartouchiere - a beautiful classic! Epi leather is ageless. Lucky you and your daughter!

Trusted Contributor
Those are classy bags. However where I live most of not 90% carry the large monogrammed tote. It’s like a status symbol. To me it’s just a large empty hole with no organization and the only thing going for it is the monogram and no they are not counterfeit. I see the lines outside the Louis V. Boutique in my macys and they are buying small monogrammed wallets or that large tote bag. The reason for the long lines is because there is a security guard monitoring how many people can get in. Believe me they are low to medium income level. I think those who have the money to buy a Louis V. Do so in the boutiques in NYC or in a very upscale neighborhood on the north shore where I live.
Trusted Contributor

@Allthingsgirly67 wrote:
Those are classy bags. However where I live most of not 90% carry the large monogrammed tote. It’s like a status symbol. To me it’s just a large empty hole with no organization and the only thing going for it is the monogram and no they are not counterfeit. I see the lines outside the Louis V. Boutique in my macys and they are buying small monogrammed wallets or that large tote bag. The reason for the long lines is because there is a security guard monitoring how many people can get in. Believe me they are low to medium income level. I think those who have the money to buy a Louis V. Do so in the boutiques in NYC or in a very upscale neighborhood on the north shore where I live.

Most of mine came directly from Paris. That's the ultimate L/V shopping experience. 

You don't get that in Macys. 

Trusted Contributor
Very true. And less money to boot.
Trusted Contributor

Well guess I'm tarnishing the brand. I'm middle class and I have 3 neverfuls; 2 speedys that I adore. One coussin; one epi leather alma and one graceful.  I bought all of mine from the LV boutique over the past 3 or 4 years.  I have a CA who is very helpful.

My friend turned me on to LV and my first words to her was, you mean that big ugly checked brown bag. Well guess what. 

I reach for the neverful daily for my work bag. As far as some thinking they are un organized, I love that it's open and I can easily access my things. I carry a zippy wallet , a cosmetic pouch with advil,my eye drops, hand sanitizer and lip gloss. I have a sunglasses case, a pouch for my ink pen and my key holder all organized and accessible. I use a handbag insert that has two side pockets. Neverful is  great for a notepad or iPad for work if needed, very functional for me. 

The neverful has been unavailable at LV for about three months and the only way to get them was to go to boutique and get on wait list. They are now just starting to show back up on line a few at a time and be available at the boutique without special order. I think they wanted to slow them down and concentrate on leather and the more  exspenvie styles . But my most expensive is the coussin and I've carried it twice, so price don't get them carried more! 

I'm still a big Brahmin fan and I really starting to like the Hammit brand. They have the softest leather. 
Glad we have choices no matter our budget or what money people perceive we have or don't have. Love grabbing my speedy 25 to run errands in my jeans and t shirt once in a while. I dress up all week for my job and I enjoy chilling when I can .

Respected Contributor

Re: Lois Vuitton

[ Edited ]

@jackiejenny wrote:

@Allthingsgirly67 wrote:

Most of mine came directly from Paris. That's the ultimate L/V shopping experience. 

You don't get that in Macys. 

I agree @jackiejenny  Nothing like buying in Paris or anywhere in Europe.  Plus you get the VAT tax back.  My sister in law buy's one LV bag in Paris every year.  She's sort of switching to Saint Laurent though.  They are so classy and simple IMO. I do own 2.

The "kate" and the "matellase envelope bag, large size.  I'll see if I can find pictures.

The only way you do not get a bargain purchasing overseas is "Chanel".  They have worldwide "equal" pricing.  No deals with them.

Did you know that Chanel is one of the only other than Hermes I think (not sure about them and don't care for the styles either)  that is still a privately held company?  The rest have all gone to Keurig, etc.

I like that about Chanel and the exclusivity of it.

For instance I used to love Stuart Weitzman shoes as they ran a bit narrow and did come in widths.  Wouldn't you know they sold to the company who owns "Coach" now.  I forgot the name of it.

Long story short, they have never been the same, sizing changed , but the prices are still  rising.  Quality is still amazing though.

First pic is the Saint Larent Matelasse envelope bag in large. Strap can flip down to one chain and is long or double it up.  Same as chanel classic flap.

Second pic is "Kate".  These are both classic's and always in inventory.

Both shades are "porcelain" or "crema soft".

20220102_155053[51875] hanging saint laurent.jpg0730171540a (2) LONGEST CHAIN COUCH SL.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I like to look put together and pretty within my own budget.  I wear stylish outfits that I put together from Macy's or Express.   I do my own hair, nails and makeup.  I wear Coach, Michael Kors or Marc Jacobs purses.  I see a lot of girls around my age walking around in leggings and camisoles carrying Louis Vuitton tote bags or "NeverFulls" or whatever they're called- they're nice and all, but I'll take my Coach pebbled leather Market Tote any day Smiley Happy.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree  To each their own, but Coach is luxury to me- I remember when I used to work at Coach as a sales associate, we were told that it was "approachable/attainable luxury" for the avarage consumer.  I feel like a fancy girl whenever I wear my Coach purses Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@MissRose722  That is a beautiful Louis Vuitton purse- I love the little gold heart and the red color!! I completely agree about the idea of buying used luxury handbags- it is sustainable and affordable.  I have a Celine C-Bag that I purchased on Fashionphile at 70% off of the original price- it was my dream bag and I waited 3 years to get it at a killer deal in a gorgeous caramel color.  I used to work at Celine at Saks and I'd try on that purse every day hoping to someday have it- but the price was way too expensive until I found it in excellent condition second hand.  Love it! Smiley HappyHeart