Trusted Contributor

Re: List features of handbags that would keep you from purchasing it.

Ugly Lining!

Honored Contributor

Any kind of of handles (hate them)

Slot for phone that is too small

No outside pocket of any kind

Too "rough" feel of the bag (has to be smooth)

Dark intioror

Bags without any structure.

Like crfossbody, but have srap that digs into heck.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I dislike:

Armpit bags

Double handled Bags

Bags without pockets inside

Bags without zipper inside

Anything over 10x8x3 (I don't need big bags)

Don't want vegan leather, cloth, nylon, coated canvas, straw etc. if it's not leather I won't even look at it. 

Bags that don't zip up.

Bags in funky colors that draw attention to me (think Brahmin) even though I like some of Brahmins I only want Pecan, black or neutral color. 
Big logos that advertise the brand. Don't mind a small hang tag but unless you're paying me to advertise your bag I'm not gonna do it.

Esteemed Contributor

If it's made in China.  

Honored Contributor

Used to be my only criteria was that it had to be "cute"!  Now, I am very picky.  I have to have a very light-weight bag.  If it's heavy before when you even put anything in it --- forget it!  

Has to have a flat, soft, long strap, that will fit easily over the shoulder and not dig in!!

I can't stand bags that have little tiny handles on them that you have to carry in your hand.

There must be an outside pocket for keys, otherwise I am always digging in my bag looking for them.

I do not like a big divider down the middle of the bag.  I feel this cuts the bag in half and wastes space.  I do like a couple smaller side pockets inside for various items.  

I don't like black interiors --- makes it very hard to see what is in there.

I generally only carry shopper or tote style bags and they must be a medium size.  I end up carrying stuff for DH, too, so usually can't carry a small bag.  

I was into more expensive bags for a while but now, I look for less expensive and durable ones.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

It's easier to say what I DO want rather than what I don't want.  I like a zip-top satchel.  Additional strap ok, but not required.  Non black interior.  Back wall zip compartment, two front wall slip pockets.  Exterior pocked ONLY if it is a slip pocket for my phone and not visible.  Oh; and it must be large.

Honored Contributor

Seems almost universal on this thread that handles are a no no.  I used to think I was the only one that hated them.  i wear only crossbody not because I like them.  It's because they are more secure.

Valued Contributor

Chains anywhere on the handles...instant fail for purchase.

Super Contributor

It's funny that there are features that most of us totally dislike about handbags and yet the ''designers'' keep making that same faux pax.  They just don't listen to us. I now think of handbags as more of utility thing rather than a fashion statement or showpiece to let the world know how much I can spend on a bag.  Many bags out there are are truly useless. I used to be one that would spend quite a bit for a bag and be unhappy with my purchase.  The only one that would be happy was the people making money off of my purchase. LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

Seems almost universal on this thread that handles are a no no.  I used to think I was the only one that hated them.  i wear only crossbody not because I like them.  It's because they are more secure.

Don't speak too soon... I absolutely hate cross body and almost never even consider a bag without a hand-held option... I have always preferred a satchel shape and silhouette and it's rare for me to select anything else...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...