Respected Contributor

I have 2 Dooney bags and another beautiful leather tote which was my mom's.  Since I retired,  I find I only use my nylon Kipling bag (which I have machine washed!), a small Travelon crossbody, and a Hedgren crossbody.  THey are all lighweight which I love.

SO now I am thinking of taking all my leather bags to the consignment shop since I never use them.  A part of me hates to part with them but no point in them going unused.

Esteemed Contributor

finally had to switch to nylon cross-body bags...due to arthritis....gave all my leather bags to a women's shelter....no regrets......they were very appreciative.....

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I have 2 Dooney bags and another beautiful leather tote which was my mom's.  Since I retired,  I find I only use my nylon Kipling bag (which I have machine washed!), a small Travelon crossbody, and a Hedgren crossbody.  THey are all lighweight which I love.

SO now I am thinking of taking all my leather bags to the consignment shop since I never use them.  A part of me hates to part with them but no point in them going unused.

You could sell the Dooney bags and keep your mom's. You can't replace it, but Dooneys are easy to find. I am like you. Lightweight is the key to being used.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

not making money for you sitting unused.

Esteemed Contributor

Leather only bags for me.  Lately many brands seem to be offering quite expensive bags in nylon.  I would rather spend my money on leather bags that last for years.

Honored Contributor

If you only have three to get rid of I would keep them.  (If you otherwise like them but for the fact they are leather.)

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

finally had to switch to nylon cross-body bags...due to arthritis....gave all my leather bags to a women's shelter....no regrets......they were very appreciative.....

Yep, me too.

I'll admit my mouth still waters when I see those beautiful leather bags being presented--any brand.  But I just can't carry them anymore.  I even had to switch my leather wallet to a lighter fabric.

And I realized I never used most of what I had been lugging around with me for years anyway.

Respected Contributor

I love the Dooney nylon bags.  They are def high quality.  I also like their suede, they are not as heavy as their leather.

Honored Contributor

I'll just sling my leather bags, mostly Dooney, over my arthritic shoulder and keep using them.  Love the look and feel of good quality leather. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Leather or nylon?

[ Edited ]

There's a place for both but leather will always get the nod over nylon. I guess I'm somewhat of an anomaly because I don't seem to carry my bags for such long stretches at a time that the weight of the leather really matters so much.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...