Honored Contributor

I had a long day on Monday and lots to carry that would not fit in my small crossbody. 

After reaching for my large Dooney leather tote with double handles, I loaded it up with my needs for the day.

OMG, it was so heavy after getting used to a nylon crossbody. I don't know how I carried these heavy bags for so many years.

Anyone carrying a nylon bag try to go back to a large,  heavy bag and shocked by the weight?

Honored Contributor

Re: LEATHER TOTE FOR THE DAY

I'm long past the stage where I use leather bags, despite the many Coach bags in my closet.  I avoid bags that are already heavy before I start to put anything in them.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus Maybe you should try a different kind of tote like Kipling or Baggallini for the days you have to carry a lot of stuff.  Granted it will be heavier just for the fact it will be large and full, but you won't have the weight of the leather added to it.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon   I agree. I only made until 1PM and then ran home for a canvas tote for the extra stuff and took my crossbody. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@faeriemoon   I agree. I only made until 1PM and then ran home for a canvas tote for the extra stuff and took my crossbody. 

@Shanus LOL; good decision!

Respected Contributor

When I worked, Dooney & Bourke handbags were my standard. They were functional and added to the professional image I wanted/needed to convey. But they were HEAVY. After I retired, I switched to Vera Bradley bags, mainly because they're so much lighter than my leather Dooney bags. I might carry a leather handbag if I needed it for a particular event or occasion, but I'd switch back to my Vera Bradley bags as soon as I got home. My aging shoulders thank me!

Respected Contributor

I am ight there with ya @Shanus !  I have many older heavy leather bags, and I never reach for them, same reason. I guess it's sad and a waste... Just thinking maybe I will offer them to my niece!  Hope you had a good day anyway! 

Honored Contributor

As I closed down my LI apartment 2 years ago, one of the easiest decisions on what to keep versus to donate or discard were heavy leather handbags,  Although I still have those that were in my FL home, I donated all the others.  I do not miss them. I rarely use the few I have left here.  Although all of them are lovely to look at, none are fun to carry.

I have 2 VB totes in solid colors -  one red, one black.  My next bag will most likely to another Vera -also a solid color.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never carried a heavy bag. I just don't carry that much on a day to day basis. Even when I worked I carried a small bag. I still like leather (for some reason I just can't get myself to carry a cloth bag even though I do like Kipling and Vera Bradley, I just feel they would get dirty to quickly or tear) but I make darn sure it's very lightweight to begin with. I think my phone is the heaviest thing in them. I did try a Vera Bradley once and what do you know, that was the one day it rained in Phoenix and it got wet and was damp the entire day. Went back to leather after that.

Honored Contributor

Yes, a long time ago when I carried a heavy leather bag it ddn't seem so heavy until I switched to carrying a smaller, lighter bag. Then when I needed that big heavy bag again I decided it wasn't worth the pain so I got a stylish backpack and use that when I need to carry a bunch of stuff.