Trusted Contributor

Kate Spade has not had anything to do with the company since 2006.  She sold the majority of the company in 1999 then sold what was left of it in 2006 at which time it was purchased by Liz Claiborne.  Over the years they grew Kate Spade New York to be bigger and more profitable than Liz Claiborne and all the brand that Liz Claiborne owned.  

(at one time Kiz Claiborne owned 39+ brands).  Little by little they sold all the other brands off including the Liz Claiborne brand and Kate Spade & Co became the new name and only focus.  It is  a $2.5 billion company today because of the vision and talent of Debra Lloyd  who turned it into a major lifestyle brand all over the world.    Kate Spade is so much more than a handbag company.  They are a gorgeous high -end apparel company, footwear, housewears,furniture and so much more.  My closet is filled with her clothing and I own over 30 bags.   I wear and use everything.  I would’nt think of not using my bags or not wearing something because she passed away.  It would also never cross my mind not to buy something.  The Kate Spade New York Company still exists and is bigger and so much better than when she sold it.  It is extremely sad that she has passed away especially that she took her own life.  They say she left a note, I wonder if we will ever find out why she would do such a thing.  My heart breaks for her husband and young daughter.  She will always be remembered for her talent and the company she started.

Respected Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

Wow. So hard to understand. One would think she had so much success, fame, fortune... She must have been able to afford the best care.  But obviously she must have been suffering inside- to the extent of suicide as an escape- wow. 

@Skyegirl21

The best of care does not matter. She could not find peace on this earth and now she has found it.....so very sad.

Honored Contributor

For those who do not know but would appreciate the info, when using the verb in reference to the type of death, the past tense is "hanged," not "hung."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

For those who do not know but would appreciate the info, when using the verb in reference to the type of death, the past tense is "hanged," not "hung."

Note... correction made... Smiley Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

https://quartzy.qz.com/1298506/kate-spades-sam-bag-the-designers-legacy-in-one-iconic-bag/

I love that Sam bag shown in the pink, so cute.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Occasional Contributor

I own several Kate Spade bags and love them all. I probably did not buy my first Kate Spade until after she sold the company. But I believe her vision was kept alive by the purchaser of her company. When I heard the news,I immediately changed into one of them in honor of her. May she rest in peace. I have no idea what would bring someone to that sad point in life, but I really appreciated her style.

Regular Contributor

I was thinking about buying on of her bags, not anymore very tainted they will probably go bankrupt 

Esteemed Contributor

Ultimately I decided not to buy my daughter a Kate Spade crossbody bag as she decided after hearing about Kate Spade's death that she didn't want one. So I decided not to visit their outlet store when I was in Las Vegas. I did see a nice tribute to Kate Spade in the window display at a regular Kate Spade store in Las Vegas but I didn't want to go into the store at all.

Respected Contributor

Re: Kate Spade has died!!

[ Edited ]

@GraydoxiechickWhat a very insensitive comment to make.  

Trusted Contributor

So tragic. Weeks later she has been buried. No more mention of her anywhere. Her daughter has no Mother. Her husband has no wife. And, what was it that could not be solved with time?