Respected Contributor

It is not "dandeelion or dandylion" please. The e in dandelion is short.

Everytime i hear this word mispronounced it is like chalk on a board.  Cant someone in the production booth correct these people.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: It is not "dandeelion or dandylion" please. The e in dandelion is short.

Should they say,  "dan duh lion" ?

Honored Contributor

There are SO many mispronounciations now that it would take quite an effort to correct them all....  plus (as has been discussed here so many times) pronunciations are often regional to the person speaking on air.

My biggest nails on the chalkboard is:  PREsentation rather than PRESENTation and has been abused for such a long time that it probably is about ready to be launched on Websters....  there are more, trust me....

If a pronunciation or spelling is mispronounced or mispelled long enough it is included in Websters as yet another alternative..... right, wrong or indifferent!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Sue Clifton is pronouncing it correctly.  

Frequent Contributor

How about the floor is inside and the ground is outside. People don't know the difference.

Trusted Contributor

I never heard "pointsettia"  pronounced with a long "e" sound at the end til I heard it on the Q! But what REALLY drove me crazy when I moved South after living up North was when someone said they were buying a bedroom "suit" instead of "suite"!!

Honored Contributor

Well, it's not as bad as "Ella Noise".........(IL)..........and I have heard this repeatedly from a network newsman............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

I never heard "pointsettia"  pronounced with a long "e" sound at the end til I heard it on the Q! But what REALLY drove me crazy when I moved South after living up North was when someone said they were buying a bedroom "suit" instead of "suite"!!

Ok, this is funny!  My parents are from the south.  My mother always said bedroom suit.  Noone has ever corrected me and i have been in Northern Virginia, considered by most as not the south for a hundred years.  Until this post i have been passing the tradition on.  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

Sorry, I can't get real worked up over pronunciation of 'dandelion', but I have always heard the term suit rather than suite applied to a matched set of furniture. That said, 'suite' is probably accurate... And the conundrum is probably what's led some people to just reference their bedroom 'set', living room 'set', dining room 'set', etc...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

Everytime i hear this word mispronounced it is like chalk on a board.  Cant someone in the production booth correct these people.  

@ShawnieI would say it is where you are from how you say a certain word.