Esteemed Contributor

Is your local weather a factor in selecting a handbag ?

I was born in Cleveland Ohio; however, we moved to Northern California when I was 13, and there I stayed.  I still grab a Kipling or Baggallini when it is pouring down, but after the long drought, we are so happy that it is raining at all, we don't dare complain.  

Most times I can carry a Dooney pebble grain and no worries. Just a quick blot with a paper towel.  And many days remain sunny, or just a bit cloudy, and dry and all my bags can come out and play. 

But when you have rain, snow, sleet, and hail, do you leave your expensive Dooney Florentines or lovely Brahmins at home?  Do you think about purchases with more severe weather in mind? Do you change out your bags to reflect the season? 

When I worked in San Francisco, I had to walk from the BART system to the financial district and I could get soaked and did worry over my briefcase and nice work bag. When it is coming down sideways, an umbrella is just about useless.  

Today is a rainy day here (yippee) and it got me wondering. My Kipling Defea is all packed and ready to venture forth.  

Image result for images kipling defea

Handbags are SO expensive these days, so, along with size, color and style, does the local weather matter to you? 

Image result for classic winnie the pooh under an umbrella

Respected Contributor

Re: Is your local weather a factor in selecting a handbag ?

The only handbags I carry these days are Anuschka.  They are all handpainted leather, and the rain or snow doesn't affect them at all.  My only concern during bad weather is that my feet and head are covered. For that, I buy only hooded jackets and I have plenty of nice boots.  BTW, I live 20 miles east of Cleveland!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

The only handbags I carry these days are Anuschka.  They are all handpainted leather, and the rain or snow doesn't affect them at all.  My only concern during bad weather is that my feet and head are covered. For that, I buy only hooded jackets and I have plenty of nice boots.  BTW, I live 20 miles east of Cleveland!

@2blonde   I love my Anuschkas too !!  So cheery and unique. I just blot them off as well.  P.S. They are having an Evine show this coming week.  Look at the Nutcracker bag:  cute !!

729-808- Anuschka Hand-Painted Leather Zip Top Triple Compartment Crossbody Bag

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, weather is a factor because I won't carry suede bags when there's a chance of rain. I don't really like suede on handbags because the color can also rub off on clothing.

Honored Contributor

Only in the sense that if it's cold or rainy I need extra room for an umbrella or hat and gloves. Which is why i switched back into my Michelle bag from the Dooney medium toggle crossbody I was carrying. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I have carried DB, Coach, Louis Vuitton and a variety of different brands. Growing up in the snowy North and having to commute in NYC, I learned to pick my bags for the climate/season.

None of my LV pieces were used if the temps dropped below 40 F or above 75 F. I also tried not to take them out in the rain (mongram canvas. The Damier Ebene wasn't prone to spotting. Whether Coach, DB or LV, I have tried to stay away from vachetta. Even if it's a bright, sunny day, one never knows what can drop on a bag. LOL. I also used my older bags that I didn't care too much about during inclement weather. Pebble leather is great, as is nylon.

I remember putting my Speedy momogram in a bag during a rainly day and I thought it was nuts. Some Coach bags I save only for nice weather, like British tan glove leather, because it is prone to water spots.  These bags are an investment and I no longer have 50 bags. I have to take care of what I have.

Honored Contributor

Due to a buldging disc in my neck I have had to give up buying heavy leather bags altogether. I am aware that the vera bradley style quilted cotton bags are no longer considered stylish but they are a much better choice for me at present and here in Florida they are still popular among senior ladies - probably for the same reason I like them - lightweight.

Respected Contributor

Yep i do.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Due to a buldging disc in my neck I have had to give up buying heavy leather bags altogether. I am aware that the vera bradley style quilted cotton bags are no longer considered stylish but they are a much better choice for me at present and here in Florida they are still popular among senior ladies - probably for the same reason I like them - lightweight.

@151949 We have a VB store in my town (Roseville Ca) and I am in there all the time.  They have a new Triple Zip Hipster LTD that they are testing out that is a bit more stylish in a micro diamond pattern, with a back cell phone pocket, and a wider strap.  I should get my VB happy birthday discount soon and that will probably be my pick.  

Triple Zip Hipster Ltd.

Honored Contributor

Very nice - I will have to check out my VB store.